I’m going to try a new daily post of game notes for each of the minor league teams that will go up on the site around 6 p.m. EST. The purpose of these posts is to let you know what storylines each team faces going into the game and provide a brief look at the opposition.
Lexington Legends vs. Lake County Captains
- The Legends are only 3-7 in their last 10 games, and only one batter is batting at least .300 in that span. Second baseman Andrew Simunic is 6-20 with 6 runs scored in that span. The only other hitter batting over .250 in those ten games is right fielder Eric Suttle who is batting .273 after appearing in seven of those games.
- David Duncan is finding his stride after being promoted from short-season Tri-City to Lexington. Duncan is 0-1 in his last two starts but has only surrendered three runs in 13 innings of work with 14 strikeouts and just one walk. Duncan pitched seven innings, allowed one run and struck out seven while walking one in a no decision Thursday.
- Kyle Greenwalt will look to end a two-game losing streak when he takes the mound for Lexington tonight. Greenwalt has allowed 12 runs over nine and one-third innings in his last two starts. Greenwalt will likely factor in the decision tonight as he has either a win or loss in each of his last 11 starts.
- Lake County’s big hitter is right fielder Abner Abreu. Abreu is batting .305 on the season with seven home runs and 30 RBI. Danny Salazar gets the start for the Captains tonight. Salazar is 2-3 with a 4.97 ERA in 13 starts this season. Opponents are batting .295 against Salazar.
Bowling Green Hot Rods vs. Hagerstown Suns
- Second baseman Isaias Velasquez (.342) and catcher Jake Jeffries (.343) are red-hot in the Hot Rods’ last ten games. Velasquez is 13-38 with 10 runs scored and Jeffries is 13-35.
- Nick Barnese’s turn in the rotation is tonight. Barnese is 4-3 with a 2.03 ERA on the season in nine starts for Bowling Green. The righty has lost his last two starts, but had won four consecutive starts before that. Barnese has a decision in each of his last seven starts this season.
- Bowling Green enters the game in a tie with Asheville for first place in the Southern Division in the second half of the season. Delmarva is in fourth in the Northern division, two games behind Kannapolis.
- The Shorebirds will send Nathan Morneau to the mound. Morneau is 4-2 with a 3.29 ERA in 13 starts this season. He’s won each of his last three starts and has allowed only one run in 18 and 2/3 innings. Morneau is working on a 16 inning scoreless streak. Left fielder Kyle Hudson is batting .469 over Hagerstown’s last 10 games.
Louisville Bats vs. Syracuse Chiefs
- Third baseman Wes Bankston is leading the charge for Louisville over the Bats’ last 10 games. Bankston is 15-39 with two home runs and 4 RBI in those 10 games. Right fielder Darnell McDonald is 13-38 (.342) with three home runs and nine RBI in the same stretch.
- Sam LeCure is scheduled to pitch tonight for the first time since July 6. LeCure is 7-5 with a 4.17 ERA on the season and has won his last five decisions. In his last four starts before the injury LeCure was 3-0 with a 1.50 ERA.
- The Bats are running away with the Western Division of the International League. They currently hold a nine game advantage over second-place Indianapolis.
- Syracuse (currently second in the Northern Division) will send Andrew Known to the mound to make just his second start of the season for the Chiefs. Known is 2-0 wit ha 3.21 ERA in six games. In his only other start Known pitched five shutout innings to earn the win against Columbus. One-time top prospect of the Cubs Corey Patterson leads Syracuse with a .361 average in his last 10 games.