Louisville Bats vs. Toledo Mud Hens
- The Bats send Sam LeCure to the mound tonight to make his 18th start of the season. LeCure is 7-5 with a 4.27 ERA in 99 innings this season. Sam has 81 strikeouts and 31 walks, and opponents are batting .243 against LeCure this season. LeCure has won each of his last five decisions and hasn’t lost since June 4. Sam is 3-1 with a 3.03 ERA at home this season.
- Outfielder Drew Stubbs was the offensive star for the Bats Tuesday with a 3-5 performance with a double, a run scored and two RBI. Stubbs has a hit in each of his last three games and is batting .276 for the month of July. Stubbs’ 37 stolen bases lead the International League.
- Stubbs’ and outfielder Chris Heisey’s chances of earning a callup to Cincinnati soon took a hit with the Reds’ acquisition of outfielder Wladimir Balentien from the Mariners Wednesday. The Reds sent former Bat Robert Manuel to the Mariners for Balentien. Wladimir will go to Cincinnati and help replace a decimated Reds’ outfield. The Reds appear set on keeping Stubbs and Heisey in the minors until September for more seasoning.
- Eddie Bonnie with take the mound for Toledo against the Bats tonight. Bonnie is 2-4 with a 4.67 ERA in 12 starts this season. Bonnie does have one complete game on the year but has just 33 strikeouts in 69.1 innings pitched. In his last start, Bonnie allowed three runs in eight innings to earn a win against Buffalo. Eddie allowed three runs in six innings in his only other start against Louisville this season.
Lexington Legends vs. Hagerstown Suns
- Robert Bono will try to add to his team-high eight wins when he takes the mound for the Legends tonight. Bono is 8-7 with a 2.92 ERA on the season with two complete games. In his last start Bono took a loss against Lake County after allowing three runs in 5.1 innings pitched. Bono has lost his last three starts and has taken a decision in each of his last nine starts.
- Shortstop Brandon Wikoff is 3-8 with a run scored in his first two games for Lexington. Wikoff made his Legends debut on Monday. The shortstop was batting .287 in 28 games for short-season Tri-City before being promoted to Lexington. Wickoff is the first 2009 Astros’ draft pick to play for Lexington. Brandon was Houston’s fifth round pick out of the University of Illinois.
- David Duncan did his part to earn a win for Lexington Tuesday, but the offense didn’t come through. Duncan allowed two earned runs in seven innings but took the loss against Hagerstown. The strong effort lowered Duncan’s ERA to 3.60 in four starts for Lexington. David has 25 strikeouts compared with just five walks in 25 innings.
- Hagerstown will send Patrick Arnold to the mound against Lexington tonight. Arnold is 3-2 with a 4.92 ERA in 25 games for the Suns. Only five of Arnold’s 25 appearances have come as a starter. Arnold moved into the rotation on July 10 and is 1-1 in three starts since. In his five starts on the season, Arnold is 1-2 with a 10.89 ERA. Opponents are batting a robust .398 against Arnold as a starter.
Bowling Green vs. Lake County
- Nick Barnese pitched six innings, allowed one run and struck out three while walking one Lake County Captain to earn his fifth win of the season in a Bowling Green 10-4 victory in an afternoon game Wednesday. Anthony Scelfo was 3-5 with a home run, a run scored and three RBI. Catcher Jake Jefferies also added two hits and a home run in the game.