Louisville Bats vs. Indianapolis Indians
- Full-season minor league ERA leader Travis Wood takes the mound tonight in game one of a four-game set with Indianapolis. Wood is 2-1 with a 2.55 ERA for Louisville and is with a 1.44 ERA on the season between AA Carolina and Louisville. Wood has struggled with his conrol in AAA with 14 strikeouts compared to 12 walks, but on the season he has 117 strikeouts and just 49 walks in 143.2 innings.
- Louisville infielder Wes Bankston is currently enjoying a five-game hitting streak and has three hits in each of his last two games. During the streak, Bankston is 10-22 (.455) with two home runs and five RBI.
- Outfielder Drew Stubbs will be among the Bats happy to see the Indians return to town. Stubbs is 10-28 (.357) with two double and four runs scored in nine games against Indianapolis this season. Starting pitcher Ben Jukich is 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA in two games against the Indians.
- Indianapolis will send Pirates prospect Virgil Vasquez to the mound in the series opener tonight. Vasquez is 7-2 with a 3.88 ERA in 16 starts for Indianapolis this season. Virgil has 64 strikeouts and just 13 walks in 92.2 innings pitched.
Lexington Legends @ Kannapolis Intimidators
- Lexington will send starting pitcher Kyle Greenwalt to the mound tonight against Kannapolis in the opener of a four-game series. Greenwalt is 7-11 with a 3.90 ERA on the season. Kyle has lost his last four decisions over five starts.
- Legends slugger Brian Pellegrini added three home runs in his last two games to his season total to move within two long balls of the Legends’ single-season record. In his last two games, Brian is 6-8 with three home runs, four RBI and four runs scored. Pellegrini’s 30 home runs on the season lead the minorleagues. Hunter Pence and Beau Herod currently hold the Legends’ single season record with 25 home runs.
- Robert Bono picked up the Legends’ only win in their first series against Kannapolis this season. Bono shutout the Intimidators through five innings to earn the win. Greenwalt, Joran Lyles and Ross Seaton each picked up a loss in the first series despite not giving up more than one run each.
- Kannapolis will send Nevin Griffin to the mound tonight to try and continue its winning ways against Lexington. Griffin is 2-4 with a 4.24 ERA on the season for Kannapolis. Nevin also made two starts for Bristol of the Appalachian League where he was 0-1 with a 5.00 ERA.
Bowling Green Hot Rods @ Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Bowling Green will send right-handed pitcher Nick Barnese to the mound to make his 14th start of the season tonight. Barnese is 5-5 with a 2.19 ERA in his first 13 games with the team. Nick is holding opponents to a .211 batting average on the season.
- With just over half of the month of August in the books, catcher Jake Jeffries has paced the Bowling Green offense in the eighth month. Jeffries is batting .326 in 12 games with one home run and five RBI.
- Among Bowling Green pitchers, Matthew Moore is the only hurler with multiple wins in August. Moore is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA in two games with 18 strikeouts in 10 innings pitched. Josh Satow has five saves in the month.
- Greensboro will send Kyle Kaminska to the mound tonight against Bowling Green. Kaminska is 8-7 with a 3.90 ERA on the season for the Grasshoppers. Kyle has 99 strikeouts and 35 walks in 127 innings pitched and is holding opponents to a .271 batting average.