The good news keeps coming today for UK head coach Gary Henderson and the Bat Cats. UK Athletics has confirmed that, in addition to the return of rising senior James Paxton (1st Supp., Toronto Blue Jays), five of the seven drafted members of UK’s 2009 recruiting class have chosen to attend college instead of signing a professional contract.
- Eric Lindsey at “Cat Scratches” reports that RHP Stephen Inch and RHP Keith Butler were the only UK signees to choose pro ball over the Cats.
- Baseball America lists the Toronto Blue Jays as one of its deadline losers for failing to sign Paxton. Also there is bad news for the 2010 Bowling Green Hot Rods as Tampa Bay failed to sign its first two picks in the draft.
Click the jump to see the complete list of drafted players with Kentucky ties that did not sign a professional contract.
UK Players and Signees
- LHP James Paxton — 1st Supp. (37) Toronto Blue Jays
- RHP Jordan Cooper — 17th Round Pittsburgh Pirates — Central HS, Shelbyville, Tenn.
- LHP Taylor Rogers — 37th Round Baltimore Orioles — Chatfield HS, Littleton, Colo.
- RHP Sam Kidd — 39th Round Philadelphia Phillies — Ohio County High School, Hartford, Ky.
- C Luke Maile — 43rd Round Boston Red Sox — Covington Catholic HS, Park Hills, Ky.
- OF Brian Adams (Football)– 45th Round Cincinnati Reds — South Forysth HS, Cumming, Ga.
UofL Players and Signees
- 1b Andrew Clark — 31st Round Chicago Cubs
- RHP Matt Koch — 37th Round Boston Red Sox — Washington HS, Cherokee, Iowa
WKU Players and Signees
- RHP Matt Ridings — 25th Round Washington Nationals
Other Kentucky Natives
- RHP Patrick Cooper — Boyle County, Ky.; Des Moines Area CC — 34th round Arizona Diamondbacks
- 1b Jon Hedges — Owensboro, Ky., Olney Central College — 43rd round Minnesota Twins
- RHP James Jones — Ballard County High School, John A Logan College — 45th round Cleveland Indians
- RHP Tim Dunn — Carlisle County High School, Tevecca Nazarene University — 46th Round Cincinatti Reds