Monday’s midnight deadline for MLB teams to sign their draft picks was newsworthy for surprising reasons in the Bluegrass. While Kentucky natives Tyler Blandford and Daniel Webb both signed with the Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays respectively, the news of the day was the improbable return of LHP James Paxton to UK. The rising seniors turned down first-supplemental round money from the Blue Jays and elected to return to UK to pair with Alex Meyer for one of the top one-two punches in the country. We’ll break down the Paxton news later, but rest assured that his is monumental news for the 2010 Cats.
- Baseball America’s Aaron Fitt reports Paxton will return to UK.
- UK Athletics provides a press release about Paxton returning for his senior season.
- Jim Callis reported that Owensboro native Tyler Blandford (5th Round) signed with the Mariners for $325,000.
- 18th round pick and Paducah native Daniel Webb signed with the Toronto Blue Jays.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer reported that UK signee and top Kentucky high school prospect Luke Maile would attend college and not sign with the Boston Red Sox.
- Kannapolis shut out Lexington 6-0 in game one of a four-game series.
- Bowling Green took game one 6-5 against Greensboro.
- Reds prospect Juan Francisco hit his first AAA home run to lead the Bats to a 7-6 victory over Indianapolis.
We’ll let you know about any confrimation that some of the later round picks are heading to campus this fall as we hear it today.