The Hot Stove league continues to heat up with rumors about possible moves and contract extensions, but the showcase of future prospects in the desert Saturday was the lead story of the day. Check out which Kentucky minor leaguers led their team to victory in the Arizona Fall League All-Star game.
- 2009 Bat Chris Heisey was 2-3 with a home run and two RBI in the AFL Rising Stars game. Teammate Yonder Alonso was 3-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
- In his latest column Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com touches on a couple of BluGrass Baseball storylines. Firs he mentions that 2009 Bat Travis Wood could compete for the Reds’ fifth starter job in Spring Training.
- The he had this about Lexington-native Travis Fryman’s managerial interview with the Indians from GM Mark Shapiro:
- “He was a huge surprise — he blew us away. He was surprisingly clear in the way he would build a staff and run the team. The further into the interview he got, the more excited he became by the potential of managing. We left the interview believing he will be an impact major-league manager someday. The timing just wasn’t right.”
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports the D’Backs acknowledged the risk in picking up UK Hall of Famer Brandon Webb’s contract option, but think the move has high reward.
- If the D’Backs fall out of contention in 2010, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney predicts Webb will be a top midseason trade option. (subscription required)