The Winter Meetings are officially underway and, as expected, most of the Bluegrass speculation centers on a certain Florida second baseman. Check out those rumors and more in some mid-afternoon links:
- Andrew Baggarly of the Silicon Valley Mercury News reports the Florida Marlins may be asking for top pitching prospect Madison Bumgarner from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for Louisville-native Dan Uggla. The Giants are unlikely to pursue Uggla at that price.
- Stan McNeal of The Sporting News writes the Marlins’ biggest question entering the Winter Meetings is whether they will move Uggla.
- Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe also lists Uggla as the likely Marlin to move in his team-by-team Winter Meetings breakdown.
- Daan De Kerpel of TSN in Canada speculates the Blue Jays could create a market for closer and UK alum Scott Downs despite the glut of relievers available.
- John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer asks where will 2009 Louisville Bat and Cincinnati Reds’ top prospect Todd Frazier play in 2020?