Louisville-native Todd Wellemeyer appears to have merged from Hot Stove league exile with some possible destinations finally surfacing. Check out those possibilities plus a possible long-term contract for one Bluegrass pre-arbitration player:
- Tracy Ringolsby of Foxsports.com reports the Rockies have targeted Bellarmine alum Todd Wellemeyer in their search to add pitching depth.
- Troy Renck of the Denver Post writes the Giants are the favorites to sign Wellemeyer, and the Rockies are interested in a minor league deal.
- Tim McKernan of 1380 AM in tweets the Mets are also in the picture.
- Nick Piecoro reports the Diamondbacks and Pikeville-native Mark Reynolds have started negotiations for a long-term contract.
- Piecoro also reports Ashland-native Brandon Webb has a bullpen session scheduled for Tuesday.
- In the same buzz blog post, Ken Rosenthal writes the Blue Jays may flip University of Kentucky alum Scott Downs for prospects.
- Debbie Harbsmeier of WHAS reports from UofL’s first two spring scrimmages.