The college Opening Day was marred a little yesterday with the late news that the Ky. Court of Appeals had sided against University of Kentucky left-handed pitcher James Paxton, and that story leads our morning links. For the first time we also have a comment from Paxton himself:
- Paxton told Jennifer Hewlett of the Lexington Herald-Leader, “It’s very disappointing the way things have gone here. I’m kind of on the sidelines waiting to see what happens.”
- B. W. Jones of the Kentucky Kernel also reports on the appeal.
- My friend Rob Gidel of the Cat’s Pause profiles University of Kentucky freshman starting pitcher Taylor Rogers in preparation his collegiate debut this afternoon.
- St X alum Chris Burke is hoping to make the Cincinnati Reds squad out of Spring Training, Michael Grant of the Courier-Journal reports, but he is excited about playing for the hometown Louisville Bats if he is sent to AAA.
- Grant also profiles University of Louisville slugger Phil Wunderlich who says his shoulder is fully healthy.
- Phil Rogers of The Chicago Tribune picks Ashland-native and UK alum Brandon Webb as one attractive midseason MLB trade candidate.