Some morning links to tide you over until this afternoon’s games:
- The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission has named University of Kentucky catcher Marcus Nidiffer to the watch list for 2010 Johnny Bench Award, which goes to the country’s top catcher.
- University of Louisville catcher Jeff Arnold and Eastern Kentucky University catcher Joey Stevens were also included on the list.
- The UofL ranked No. 11 and UK ranked No. 27 in the NCBWA top 25 poll. (Link via The College Baseball Blog)
- Aaron Smith of the Kentucky Kernel profiles UK freshman left-handed pitcher Taylor Rogers.
- Adam Revelette of Examiner.com talks to UK right-handed pitcher Logan Darnell about the weekend series.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America lists Lexington-native Ben Revere as one of the best prospects omitted from the publication’s top 100 prospects list.
- I missed this last week, but St. Mary’s (Paducah) alum Jonathan Roof was named Big Ten player of the week for his performance in the opening week for Michigan State.
- Roof, a shortstop, is batting .478 with two home runs and five RBI during the first six games of the season.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports UK alum Brandon Webb was encouraged by his last bullpen session.