You can read my full commentary of the UK/WKU game in the previous post, but there were plenty of state media at the game. Check out their takes below as well as a recap of EKU’s Wednesday contest.
- Western Kentucky University defeated the University of Kentucky 6-3 behind four hits from senior first baseman Jake Wells and three RBI from senior shortstop Matt Payton. Freshman right-handed reliever Taylor Haydel recorded the win after allowing one unearned run in one inning. UK freshman right-handed pitcher Jordan Cooper took the loss, and the Cats were led by senior third baseman Gunner Glad who was 1-3 with a home run and three RBI. (Box Score)
- Junior left fielder Ryan Faidley launched two home runs to lead Eastern Kentucky University to a 10-6 win over Marshall Wednesday. Freshman second baseman Matt Phipps and senior first baseman Anthony Ottrando each had two hits. Freshman right-handed pitcher Alex Rexroat was credited with the win despite pitching just two innings in his start. (Box Score)
- Mike Stunson of the College Heights Herald reports WKU was excited to get the win over its in-state rival.
- Aaron Smith of the Kentucky Kernel recaps the WKU/UK game and reports UK coach Gary Henderson is concerned about the Cats’ inability to drive in runs.
- WKU shortstop Payton told Mark Maloney of the Lexington Herald-Leader the Hilltoppers were glad to come through with clutch hits despite leaving 12 men on base.
- Nick Baumgardner of the Bowling Green Daily News writes WKU is no longer chasing UK in his preview of yesterday’s showdown.