We have a lot of information coming out today as the MLB season kicks off across the country and the normal Monday college rankings and awards are released, so instead of providing a highlights post for each division one school I’ve condensed them into one big post. In case you missed any of the college action this weekend here’s a quick refresher:
- UofL sweeps its way to first place: The University of Louisville (9) outscored Villanova 29-10 in a three-game sweep to move into first place in the Big East. UofL is now 24-3 on the season and 5-1 in conference play. The Cards were powered by senior first baseman Andrew Clark, who batted .556 on the week, and junior left-handed pitcher Dean Kiekhefer, who pitched a complete-game shutout against the Wildcats in game two of the weekend series.
- WKU upset by Arkansas St after entering national rankings: In its first weekend series since being ranked by five national polls for the first time in program history, Western Kentucky University (18) dropped two of three games at Arkansas State. The Hilltoppers nine-game winnings streak ended with a 4-6 loss Saturday, and the team scored only nine runs in the series. Senior ace Matt Ridings said it best when he tweeted Sunday, “Finally leaving Arkansas, bad [weekend].”
- Heartbreaking loss caps disappointing week for UK: In what might be the game of the year, the University of Kentucky turned an early seven-run deficit into a two-out, ninth inning three-run lead and still lost 17-16 to Arkansas Sunday. The No. 10 Razorbacks won on a two-strike, two-out, walk-off grand slam to secure the series win and send UK to a 2-3 week. The Cats are now buried in last place in the Southeastern Conference at 2-7 in league play. Senior first baseman Gunner Glad did slug four home runs on the week.
Hit the jump for the OVC teams weekend highlights:
- EKU swept out of first place: One week after being projected to make the NCAA tournament as the Ohio Valley Conference representative and moving into first place in the league, Eastern Kentucky University was swept in its three game series against Southeast Missouri State. EKU averaged over six runs a game on the weekend, but its pitching fell apart after allowing at least seven runs in each game and 17 in game one. The Colonels fell to 12-14 on the season.
- UT Martin no match for Murray State: The Murray State University Thoroughbreds outscored UT Martin 40-12 in a three-game sweep. The Breds blew out UT Martin 20-2 in game one and 13-5 in game two. Murray improved to 16-11 on the season and moved into second place in the OVC with a 4-2 conference record.
- Morehead scores record-breaking series sweep: Senior shortstop Drew Lee broke the Morehead State University career hits record Sunday, and the Eagles broke the school record with 29 hits in it 24-14 victory Saturday over SIU Edwardsville. Junior second baseman Travis Redmon broke the school record with three home runs, and Lee set the record for at-bats in a game with seven in game two. Morehead scored 43 runs in the tree-game sweep.