Earlier this week I unveiled the NCAA midseason All-State team, today we look at the midseason winners for each of the major BluGrass Baseball awards. I tried to find a nominee from each team for the honorable mention category, but several didn’t have a worthy candidate for pitcher or freshman.
BluGrass Baseball Midseason Player of Year: OF J. D. Ashbrook
- Stats: .459/.570/.830, 14 HR, 41 RBI, 56 R, 11-13 SB
- Morehead State University outfielder J. D. Ashbrook was a member of the preseason All-State team after his strong junior campaign, but no one expected this type of performance. Ashbrook leads the state in batting average, home runs, runs scored and on-base percentage and has so-far outshined his more heralded senior teammate Drew Lee.
- Honorable Mention: Wes Cunningham (Murray St.), Ryan Wright (UofL), Gunner Glad (UK), Jayson Langfels (EKU), Matt Rice (WKU), Matt Payton (WKU)
BluGrass Baseball Midseason Pitcher of Year: RHP Thomas Royse
- Stats: 6-1, 2.84 ERA, 50 SO/18 BB, 50.2 IP, .250 BA against
- Thomas Royse has stepped up to fill University of Louisville vacant ace spot vacated by draftee Justin Marks. He leads Kentucky starting pitchers in ERA and ranks second in wins, strikeouts and batting average against. The star right-handed pitcher hadn’t lost a game until last weekend’s series against Pittsburgh, but still is among the Big East leaders in most pitching categories.
- Honorable mention: Neil Holland (UofL), Matt Ridings (WKU), Rye Davis (WKU), Matt Little (UK), Chris Craycraft (Murray St.)
BluGrass Baseball Freshman of Year: LHP Taylor Rogers (UK)
- Stats: 4-3, 4.86 ERA, 22 SO/8 BB, 50 IP
- Several Kentucky freshman have enjoyed standout seasons in their college debuts, but none have consistently performed against better competition than Taylor Rogers. The freshman burst onto the scene with seven and two-thirds shutout innings in his collegiate debut against West Virginia and hasn’t looked back. Only hiccups against Monmouth and Arkansas have kept Rogers from being in the running for best pitcher in the state, not just best freshman.
- Honorable Mention: Ryan Huck (WKU), Colton Moore (Murray St.), Kyle Grieshaber (UofL), Ryne Purcell (EKU)