We ran down the minor league awards earlier this week, but before we get too deep in May I thought I’d select a hitter and MLB pitcher of the month for April. To be eligible a player must be born in Kentucky or an alumnus of a Kentucky school. (All eligible players are listed on the Ky. in the Majors page)
Player of the month: 2B Dan Uggla (Marlins)
- Stats: .295/.364/.534
- Dan Uggla, born in Louisville, displayed his usual power during the first month of the season but also boasted an unusually high batting average. The slugger was second among Kentucky major leaguers in home runs, RBI and batting average, but stood out for his consistency across categories.
- Honorable Mention: Mark Reynolds (Pikeville), Austin Kearns (Lexingt0n), Corey Hart (Bowling Green)
Pitcher of the month: RHP Jon Rauch (Twins)
- Stats: 1-0, 7 Sv, 1.80 ERA, 8 SO/2 BB, 10 IP
- Jon Rauch, a Louisville native and Morehead State alum, was named the Twins’ closer after All-Star Joe Nathan had season-ending Tommy John surgery priory to the start of the season. He didn’t disappoint during April with seven saves in eight chances and one win.
- Honorable Mention: Tyler Clippard (Lexington), Trever Miller (Louisville)