Latest Kentucky-related baseball news:
- Trinity High School alum and Savannah College of Art and Design junior right-handed pitcher Stephen Shackleford has signed a professional contract with the San Francisco Giants as the teams 35th round pick according to a SCAD news release.
- Earlier this week we reported Franklin County High School alum and Indiana University Southeast junior outfielder Cameron Conner had signed with the Royals as the team’s 20th round pick. For more information about Conner check out the video above and this story from the IUSE media relations department about Conner being the school’s first ever MLB draft selection.
- Former University of Kentucky outfielder and Lexington native Collin Cowgill was selected to Baseball America‘s weekly Prospect Hot Sheet. Cowgill checked in at No. 12 on the list while 2009 Lexington Legend Jordan Lyles was ranked No. 2 and 2009 Bowling Green Hot Rod Matt Moore was ranked No. 7. Former University of Louisville third baseman Chris Dominguez was included on the “Not-So Hot Sheet.”
- Ashland native and former UK pitcher Brandon Webb was satisfied with his most recent bullpen session as he works his way back from offseason shoulder surgery, Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports.
- Former UK pitcher James Paxton‘s father spoke with Lyndon Little of the Vancouver Sun and said the family was thrilled Paxton was selected by the Seattle Mariners.
- Boyle County native and UK signee Blake Perry hasn’t decided whether he will sign with the Arizona Diamondbacks as the team’s sixth-round pick or attend UK, Larry Vaught of the Danville Advocate Messenger reports.