The latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Rob Bradford of WEEI Radio in Boston reports trade talks between the Blue Jays and Red Sox regarding Louisville native and former UK left-handed pitcher Scott Downs have hit an impasse but could be revived before Saturday’s trade deadline.
- Michael Grant of the Courier-Journal talks to University of Louisville pitching coach Roger Williams about his decision to turn down defending national champion South Carolina’s job offer to remain at UofL.
- Grant also profiles new Louisville Bats reliever and former major league pitcher Russ Springer, who he writes gives the Bats a veteran presence on the pitching staff.
- Jason Stella of the Bats’ media relation department writes the team’s recent power surge has kept it on the winning track.
- Morehead State University will hosts two high school baseball showcase camps on Sept. 26 and Oct. 24.
- As part of my day job I work on a project in the University of Kentucky Special Collections Library with the 19th and 20th century Daily Racing Form. I recently stumbled upon this story from 1936 that should interest baseball history buffs about Babe Ruth’s trip to the Bluegrass State for the Kentucky Derby.