Latest links from around Kentucky baseball, including bad news for one Bluegrass major leaguer:
- Cash Kruth of MLB.com reports the San Francisco Giants designated Louisville native and former Bellarmine right-handed pitcher Todd Wellemeyer for assignment. The team can now trade Wellemeyer or, if he clears waivers, assign him to AAA.
- Courier-Journal columnist Eric Crawford writes “baseball is being very good to us” as former Louisville Bats contribute in big ways to the Cincinnati Reds’ playoff run.
- The C-J also reports July set a new attendance record for the Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory.
- University of Louisville rising junior infielder Ryan Wright was named the best designated hitter at the FISU World University Baseball Championships and finished the summer for Team USA batting .361 with two home runs, 18 runs scored and 12 RBI.
- Baseball America has released its annual “Best Tools” list for AAA and several Louisville Bats were among those honored by International League managers and scouts. Left-handed pitcher Aroldis Chapman was voted to have the best fastball and breaking pitch, infielder Chris Valaika was voted as the best defensive second baseman and outfielder Wladimir Balentien was voted to have the best outfield arm.
- Ken Neuhauser of the Courier-Journal talks with Kentucky baseball historian and author Philip Von Borries about his most recent book: “The Louisville Baseball Almanac”