Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton and the Philadelphia Phillies clinched the NL East title with a win Monday. Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports on the team’s fourth consecutive division title.
- Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb will not return to a MLB mound this season and will instead pitch for the Diamondbacks in the instructional league on Oct. 7.
- The Atlanta Braves and right-handed reliever Jonny Venters, born in Pikeville, took over the NL Wild Card lead with a walk-off win Monday.
- The Minnesota Twins recently completed rookie hazing day during which rookies have to wear costumes in public. Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere was a character from the children’s show “Yo Gabba Gabba” as evidenced by the pictures on pitcher Pat Neshek’s website.
- James Schmel of MLive.com writes former UK first baseman Ryan Strieby‘s numerous injury setbacks this season have contributed to the uncertainty around the Detroit Tigers.
- The Cincinnati Reds can clinch the NL Central with a win today or Cardinals loss.