Latest highlights from Kentucky baseball in advance of tonight’s ALCS game one:
- Matt Gelb of The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Phillies manager Charlie Manuel named former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton the team’s game-four starter, though Manuel reserved the right to change his mind depending on the situation.
- J. J. Cooper of Baseball America reports the magazine named former Lexington Legends outfielder Beau Torbert the Independent League player of the year.
- Cooper included former UK left-handed pitcher Andrew Albers in the “Others to Note” section of BA’s top 10 independent league prospects.
- In the accompanying chat, Cooper touches on former UK LHP James Paxton, who Cooper predicts to sign with the Mariners this offseason.
- Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere was 4-6 with a double, RBI, two runs scored and two stolen bases for the Peoria Saguraos of the Arizona Fall League. Former NKU right-handed pitcher Josh Lueke struck out two in a scoreless inning for the Peoria Javelinas in the game.
- PRP alum Zack Cox, the Cardinals’ 2010 first-round pick, doubled off former UofL right-handed pitcher B. J. Rosenberg and drove in a run for Surprise of the Arizona Fall League. Rosenberg surrendered three runs in one and two-third innings for Mesa.