Kentucky Wednesday playoff highlights and the latest links from around Bluegrass state baseball:
- Franklin Simpson High School alum and former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton surrendered three runs in four and two-third innings for the Phillies and was pulled while his team held a 4-3 lead. The Giants rallied against the Phillies’ bullpen and ended up with a 6-5 win.
- Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Phil Sheridan of the writes Phillies manager Charlie Manuel’s mistake wasn’t “putting his faith in Joe Blanton for Game 4. It was losing faith in Blanton too early.
- Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports Manuel’s quick hook of Blanton added to the NLCS drama.
- In the ALCS Lexington native Austin Kearns still hasn’t appeared in a game for the New York Yankees, who trail 3-2 in the best-of-seven series to the Texas Rangers.
- Dave Sheinin of The Washington Post asks, “Why is Kearns on the playoff roster if the Yankees won’t use him?”