It may be difficult to think about baseball with snow blanketing most of the Bluegrass State, but the Hot Stove League hasn’t taken time off for the winter weather. With that in mind here’s a rundown of the latest Kentucky baseball news to keep you warm:
- Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com tweets that the Chicago Cubs and Washington Nationals have stepped up their pursuit of Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb. Crasnick notes several other teams are interested in Webb, but the Cubs and Nationals lead the pack.
- Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic reports the Baltimore Orioles remain the most likely landing spot for Arizona Diamondbacks third baseman Mark Reynolds, who was born in Pikeville, if he is traded.
- In the Texas Rangers’ top 10 prospects chat, Aaron Fitt of Baseball America notes that Lexington native Robbie Ross has seen his prospect status dip some as many people in the Rangers’ organization think he will end up as a reliever. (subscription required)
- In the Oakland Athletics’ top 10 prospects chat, Jim Shonerd of BA notes former UofL right-handed pitcher Trystan Magnuson is in the A’s top 30 prospects after recently being traded to the organization and could make his big league debut in 2010. (subscription required)
- John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports Louisville Bats catcher Devin Mesoraco was named the Cincinnati Reds’ minor league player of the year and Bats outfielder Dave Sappelt was named the minor league hitter of the year.