The Winter Meetings conclude today with the Rule 5 draft. Check back later to see if any Kentucky players were selected in the draft, but for now here are the latest stories from around Kentucky baseball:
- Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com lists Elizabethtown native Nathan Adcock as a candidate to be selected in the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft.
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports the Cleveland Indians might be interested in bringing back Lexington native Austin Kearns to balance out their left-handed heavy lineup.
- Tony Paul of The Detroit News reports both former UK lugger Ryan Strieby and Detroit Tigers’ doctors say the former SEC player of the year’s oft-injured wrist is fine and Strieby could compete for a major-league outfield job in Spring Training.
- Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com speculates the New York Yankees may try to sign former UK left-handed pitcher Scott Downs for a late-inning weapon against the Boston Red Sox’ new left-handed hitters Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez.
- The University of Louisville has named junior infielder Ryan Wright, senior outfielder Drew Haynes and sophomore pitcher Matt Koch captains for the 2011 season.
- While little news has surfaced about free agent right-handed pitcher and Louisville native Todd Wellemeyer finding a new team, Dave Jordan of The Brunswick News in Georgia reports the former Bellarmine pitcher took part in Adam Wainwright’s charity golf tournament.
- Matt Eddy of Baseball America breaks down the trade that sent Lafayette High School alum Chaz Roe to the Seattle Mariners for Jose Lopez.
- Connor Glassey of BA analyzes the trade that sent third baseman Mark Reynolds, who was born in Pikeville, to the Orioles for two minor league pitchers.