The day after another Kentucky MLB free agent signed, the Hot Stove League is still in full swing and the college season is approaching. With that in mind there is plenty of Kentucky baseball news for your Tuesday morning:
- The Collegiate Baseball Newspaper has released its 2011 preseason poll with the University of Louisville ranked at No. 20. Both the University of Kentucky and Western Kentucky University were included in the “others receiving votes” category.
- Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports one-time UofL left-handed pitcher Zach Jackson, who transferred to Texas A&M, signed a minor-league contract with the Texas Rangers.
- T. R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports the Rangers remain interested in signing Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb.
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports newly signed outfielder Austin Kearns, a Lexington native, will serve as a right-handed hitting fourth outfielder for the Indians. Bastian notes Kearns could start in left field if Grady Sizemore doesn’t return from injury in time to start the season and could occassionaly start at designated hitter.
- Paul Hoynes of The Plain Dealer in Cleveland reports Kearns returned to the Indians in part because he currently lives in the greater Cleveland area.