A roundup of the latest links and stories from around Kentucky baseball:
- Jennifer Hewlett of the Lexington Herald-Leader profiles former UK basketball and baseball star Cotton Nash and his family. Nash, more known for his basketball career, appeared in 13 games across three seasons for the Chicago White Sox and Minnesota Twins. One of his sons, J. Richey Nash, recently filmed a movie about baseball in Lexington.
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram columnist Gil Lebreton has a plethora of predictions for Texas sports in 2011, including a big season for Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb. Lebreton predicts Webb will make the Rangers’ starting rotation out of Spring Training and pitch the eventual division-clinching win in October.
- Jane Lee of MLB.com lists former UofL right-handed pitcher Trystan Magnuson among the Oakland Athletics pitchers that may form an improved bullpen that could reverse the A’s 2010 fortunes.
- Nick Cafardo of The Boston Herald reports the Philadelphia Phillies are unlikely to trade former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton within the NL East.
- Mike Fields of the Lexington Herald-Leader looks back on highlights from Kentucky high school sports in 2010, including the death of long-time Paintsville High School baseball coach Charlie Adkins, Harrison County High School‘s fourth state baseball title and J. T. Riddle‘s Mr. Baseball win.