Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports the Philadelphia Phillies don’t have to cut payroll but are still open to trading former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton. The right-handed starting pitcher has been rumored to be on the trading block since the Phillies signed free agent Cliff Lee.
- Jack Etkin of Baseball America catches up with former EKU left-handed pitcher Christian Friedrich, a top Colorado Rockies prospect, who hopes better fastball command and a healthy 2011 will help him rebound from a poor 2010. (subscription required)
- Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated tweets the Tampa Bay Rays are still looking at bullpen free agent options, and former Morehead St. right-handed pitcher Jon Rauch is a candidate for their closer job.
- UofL assistant coach Xan Barksdale wasn’t the only Kentucky assistant coach to speak at the ABCA convention in Nashville last weekend. University of Kentucky assistant coach Brian Green gave a presentation about infield defense at the convention.
- Aaron Fitt of Baseball Ameirca reports the NCAA is considering altering the no-agent rule for drafted college baseball players. That is the rule that cost former UK left-handed pitcher James Paxton his senior season in 2010.