Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- In his Spring Training preview Jason Stark of ESPN.com ranks former UK right-handed pitcher and Ashland native Brandon Webb the most important injury comeback and St. X alum Matt Anderson the most unlikely name on a Spring Training roster.
- David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee confirmed former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton will be the team’s fifth starting pitcher.
- Dubee’s proclamation hasn’t convinced Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, who lists “Will Joe Blanton still be a Phillie when the club heads north?” as his fourth most important Phillies’ question heading into Spring Training.
- University of Louisville junior second baseman Ryan Wright and sophomore third baseman Cade Stallings each slugged home runs in Sunday’s Red-Gray scrimmage.
- Reports out of the University of Kentucky‘s Sunday intrasquad game had junior right-handed pitcher Alex Meyer hitting 100 m.p.h. on the radar gun.