Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game USA previews the Sun Belt Conference and Ohio Valley Conference among others. Rogers picks Western Kentucky University to finish fourth in the Sun Belt, but ranks senior catcher Matt Rice the best hitter in the league. Rice, junior outfielder Kes Carter and redshirt junior reliever Rye Davis were each selected to the All-Sun Belt team, and Carter was ranked the top 2011 draft prospect in the conference. WKU junior shortstop Logan Robins ranked No. 2 on the 2011 prospects list, and Davis, Rice, and junior right-handed pitcher Phil Wetherell were also included on the list. Sophomore pitchers Tanner Perkins and Taylor Haydel were ranked among the top 2012 draft prospects.
- In the OVC preview Rogers picks Eastern Kentucky University to finish fifth, Murray State University to finish sixth and Morehead State University to finish eighth. Rogers selected Morehead St. junior catcher Taylor Davis to the all-OVC team. Davis was ranked the No. 3 2011 draft prospect in the conference, and EKU sophomore right-handed pitcher Anthony Bazzani ranked No. 5 on the 2012 draft prospects list.
- Mike DiGiovanna of The Los Angeles Times reports former UK left-handed pitcher and Louisville native Scott Downs has a chance to open the season as the Angels’ closer if Fernando Rodney pitches poorly during Spring Training.
- Ken Fidlin of the Toronto Sun reports former Morehead St. right-handed pitcher and Louisville native Jon Rauch turned his ankle and may miss a few days of Blue Jays’ camp as a result.
- Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports former UK right-handed pitcher and Ashland native Brandon Webb hopes to be ready for Opening Day.