Latest hits from around Kentucky baseball:
- Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports Louisville native and former Morehead St. right-handed pitcher Jon Rauch threw his first bullpen session of the spring after missing his previous session with a twisted ankle.
- Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports Louisville native and former Bellarmine right-handed pitcher Todd Wellemeyer returned to the Chicago Cubs in part because of his experience with the organization, which drafted him out of college.
- Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb only experienced normal soreness after his brief throwing session Thursday.
- Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports the Seattle Mariners still hope to sign former UK left-handed pitcher James Paxton, who was the team’s fourth-round pick in 2010.
- Chad Bishop of the Bowling Green Daily News recaps Western Kentucky University‘s opening-day win over Bowling Green St., noting WKU head coach Chris Finwood said he was “very proud” of sophomore left-handed pitcher Tanner Perkins‘ start.
- Brad Stephens of the College Heights Herald also recaps the WKU 12-1 win.