Highlights and recaps from Friday Kentucky college baseball:
- Western Kentucky University opened the Baseball at the Beach Tournament in Myrtle Beach, S.C., with a 11-3 blowout win over Kansas St. WKU junior right fielder Ryan Hutchinson, junior second baseman Ivan Hartle and senior third baseman Casey Dykes each slugged home runs in the game. Hartle and junior center fielder Kes Carter both tallied three hits in four at-bats, one RBI and three runs scored. Senior catcher Matt Rice was 3-5 with three RBI, and sophomore left-handed pitcher Tanner Perkins earned the win after surrendering three runs on five hits in six innings while striking out four and walking two. (Box Score)
- The University of Louisville dropped its first game of the season despite outhitting Toledo in a 3-1 loss. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Matt Koch took the loss despite pitching well. Koch surrendered three runs, two of which were earned, on five hits in six innings while striking out three and walking two. Freshman center fielder Adam Engel and junior second baseman Ryan Wright each tallied two hits in four at bats in the game. Junior right-handed pitcher Derek Self pitched three hitless innings out of the UofL bullpen while striking out two batters. (Box Score)
- Illinois-Chicago scored eight unanswered runs including four in the ninth inning off University of Kentucky closer Braden Kapteyn to send the Cats to a 10-8 loss in game one of a three-game series. UK entered the top of the ninth with a 8-6 lead, but Kapteyn surrendered four runs with two outs in the frame. The bullpen collapse over-shadowed a strong start from sophomore left-handed pitcher Taylor Rogers and impressive offensive performance from junior catcher Michael Williams. Rogers surrendered three earned runs in six and two-third innings while striking out six and walking one. Williams was 3-4 with two home runs, three RBI and three runs scored in the game. UK led 8-2 at one point, but UIC began its comeback with three unearned runs off Rogers in the seventh inning. Two of the runs were charged to Rogers after he was pulled from the game. (Box Score)
- Murray State University‘s series-opening game with Bowling Green St. was rained out Friday and will be made up as part of a double-header beginning at 11 a.m. on Saturday.
- Morehead State University‘s series-opening game with Purdue was postponed due to inclement weather and will be made up as part of a double-header beginning at noon on Sunday. The Eagles and Boilermakers were already scheduled to play a double-header on Saturday.
Hitter of the day: C Michael Williams (UK)
- Stats: 3-4, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 3 R
- Honorable Mention: Ivan Hartle (WKU), Kes Carter (WKU), Ryan Hutchinson (WKU), Matt Rice (WKU), Taylor Black (UK), Luke Maile (UK)
Pitcher of the day: LHP Tanner Perkins (WKU)
- Stats: 1-0, 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
- Honorable Mention: Ross Hammonds (WKU), Taylor Rogers (UK), Matt Koch (U0fL), Derek Self (U0fL)