Latest links around Kentucky baseball:
- University of Kentucky freshman outfielder Lucas Witt pulled a hip flexor during the Cats’ loss to UIC Friday, UK confirmed to BluGrass Baseball following the game. Witt will be re-evaluated today when the Cats hope to figure out a timetable for his return.
- Western Kentucky University catcher Matt Rice has been named a candidate for the Lowe’s Senior Class Award.
- Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports the Texas Rangers plan for Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb to throw of a mound for the first time on Sunday.
- Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com talks with Louisville native and former Bellarmine right-handed pitcher Todd Wellemeyer, who says he realizes he is a long-shot to make the Cubs’ roster but hopes his previous experience in pitching well during Spring Training to make a team will pay off.
- C. Ray Hall of the Courier-Journal profiles the multiple aces of University of Louisville‘s starting rotation.
- Mark Sheldon of MLB.com profiles Louisville Bats outfielder Dave Sappelt and his fast ascension through the minor leagues.