Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Bowling Green native Corey Hart suffered a slight strain of his right side during defensive drills Saturday. Hart may miss a couple of days with the injury according to Brewers manager Ron Roenicke.
- Following a night full of Internet rumors, Keith Law of ESPN.com reports via Twitter that former UK left-handed pitcher James Paxton has not signed with the Seattle Mariners yet, but the deal is “getting close.” Paxton was the team’s fourth-round pick in 2010 after he was ruled ineligible during his senior season at UK for having his agent, Scott Boras, negotiate directly with the Toronto Blue Jays following the 2009 draft.
- Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports former UK right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton shrugged off the rampant offseason trade rumors and the his status as forgotten man in the Phillies rotation to post a stellar Spring Training debut.
- Jeff Caplan of ESPNDallas.com reports Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb threw off a mound for the first time this Spring on Sunday.
- John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports Louisville Bats outfielder Dave Sappelt was the start of the Reds’ Saturday intrasquad scrimmage.