Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game USA breaks down the University of Louisville‘s Friday win versus Pepperdine, noting he was impressed by sophomore right-handed pitcher Matt Koch, freshman first baseman Ryan Seiz and senior catcher J. J. Ethel. (Subscription required)
- Rogers also highlights University of Kentucky junior right-handed pitcher Alex Meyer and UofL redshirt sophomore right-handed pitcher Justin Amlung in his 27 takes from Saturday college baseball action.
- Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports Elizabethtown native Nathan Adcock may be the favorite for the Royals’ long-reliever spot in the bullpen since he has pitched well this spring and would have to be offered back to the Pirates as a Rule 5 pick if he doesn’t make the MLB roster.
- Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald in Chicago profiles Louisville native and former Bellarmine right-handed pitcher Todd Wellemeyer, who says he has been working on a new mental approach to pitching during the offseason.
- Larry Stone of The Seattle Times reports the Mariners have re-assigned former UK left-handed pitcher James Paxton to minor league camp.
- Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com ranks one-time UK outfielder turned second baseman Jason Kipnis the No. 3 prospect in the Cleveland Indians’ organization.
- Tyler Kepner of The New York Times profiles the Texas Rangers’ plan B: Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb.