Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- The Detroit Tigers have optioned former UK first baseman Ryan Strieby to AAA Toledo.
- The Chicago White Sox have optioned Covington native and former NKU right-handed pitcher Nathan Jones to AA Birmingham.
- Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game USA breaks down 25 teams outside of the PGSU top 25, noting the University of Louisville‘s poor offensive performance is the only thing keeping it out of the rankings. (Subscription required)
- Nick Baumgardner of the Bowling Green Daily News reports Western Kentucky University received an unlikely offensive spark on Sunday from freshman Justin Hageman, who received his first at-bats of 2011 after spending the first three weeks of the season solely on the mound.
- Jordan Bastain of MLB.com reports one-time UK outfielder turned second baseman Jason Kipnis was re-assigned to minor league camp by the Cleveland Indians.
- The bad injury news continues for Colorado Rockies right-handed pitcher Aaron Cook, who was born in Fort Campbell, as Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports Cook will miss a few weeks after breaking his ring finger on his throwing hand when he accidentally slammed a door on it on Friday.
- MLB.com columnist Mike Bauman writes Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb‘s return from injury has become a question of “when” not “if” following his strong throwing session over the weekend.