Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Mike DiGiovanna of The Los Angeles Times reports Louisville native and former UK left-handed pitcher Scott Downs will start the season on the disabled list after breaking his left big toe on Sunday. Downs would only say he injured the toe while “playing around with the kids,” and DiGiovanna notes the injury will likely keep him out till at least mid April.
- Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports former UK left-handed pitcher Andrew Albers has signed a minor league contract with the Minnesota Twins. Albers spent 2010 in the independent Can-Am League and last appeared in affiliated ball in 2008 when he appeared in five games for the AZL Padres before undergoing Tommy John surgery.
- Josh Caldwell of The News-Enterprise in Hardin County catches up with Elizabethtown native Nathan Adcock who has pitched well in his audition to make the Kansas City Royals MLB roster this spring.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com breaks down former Kentucky Wesleyan right-handed pitcher Cory Wade‘s attempt at a comeback with the Tampa Bay Rays.
- Michael Hunt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Brewers manager Ron Roenicke is still uncertain as to when Bowling Green native Corey Hart will return from injury and whether he can get the outfielder enough at-bats in Spring Training to be ready for Opening Day.