Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com ranks 2010 Lexington Legends shortstop Jiovanni Mier, outfielder J. D. Martinez, right-handed pitcher Tanner Bushue and second baseman Jimmy Paredes among the top 10 prospects in the Astros’ organization. Likely 2011 Legends Delino DeShields Jr., Mike Foltynewicz and Austin Wates also are included on the list.
- Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com reports Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb feels he is ready to pitch in a game situation, but the Rangers have not decided what his next step will be.
- David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports Atlanta Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez will start the season with a left-handed pitcher Jonny Venters, who was born in Pikeville, sharing the closer role with right-handed pitcher Craig Kimbrel.
- Mike Rutsey of the Toronto Sun reports Louisville native and former Morehead St. right-handed pitcher Jon Rauch has been a key mentor for some of the Blue Jays young pitchers this spring.
- Nick Baumgardner of the Bowling Green Daily News reports Western Kentucky University head coach Chris Finwood and 11 player shaved their heads following their Friday win versus Middle Tennessee to benefit the St. Baldrick’s Foundation that supports the fight against childhood cancer.