Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Western Kentucky University junior shortstop Logan Robbins was named Sun Belt Conference player of the week.
- University of Kentucky freshman right fielder J. T. Riddle, who was the BluGrass Baseball freshman of the week, has been named the Southeastern Conference freshman of the week.
- The Oakland Athletics have optioned former UofL right-handed pitcher Trystan Magnuson to AAA Sacramento.
- The Louisville Bats‘ 2011 roster is starting to take shape after the Cincinnati Reds optioned left-handed pitcher Daniel Ray Herrera, shortstop Kris Negron, infielder Zack Cozart, first baseman Yonder Alonso, right-handed pitcher Carlos Fisher, right-handed pitcher Jordan Smith and utility man Todd Frazier to Louisville.
- Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports the Rangers pushed back Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb‘s batting practice session to Wednesday or Thursday due to rain. Grant notes Webb will begin his rehab by alternating starts between AAA Round Rock and AA Frisco depending on which team is home.
- John Wagner, writing for Baseball America, reports now that former UK first baseman Ryan Strieby is healthy his path to the Tigers’ MLB roster is still blocked by Miguel Cabrera. (subscription required)
- Dick Kaegel of MLB.com reports Elizabethtown native Nathan Adcock is among eight candidates still in the running for the final five spots in the Kansas City Royals’ bullpen.