Recaps and highlights from Saturday Kentucky college baseball action:
- Western Kentucky University remained undefeated in Sun Belt Conference play and won its eighth game in a row with a 6-4 win over FIU. Freshman right-handed pitcher Justin Hageman earned the win after surrendering one run on seven hits in six and two-third innings while striking out eight batters and walking four. Junior shortstop Logan Robbins was 3-4 with one RBI, and junior second baseman Ivan Hartle was 2-4 with one RBI and two runs scored. Sophomore first baseman Ryan Huck slugged his second home run of the season. (Box Score)
- The University of Louisville clinched a series victory in its first Big East Conference series with a 9-2 win over Rutgers. Redshirt sophomore right-handed pitcher Justin Amlung improved to 5-0 on the season after surrendering two runs, one of which was earned, on seven hits in six innings while striking out seven batters and walking three. Junior second baseman Ryan Wright finish the game a double shy of the cycle and was 4-5 with a home run, triple, five RBI and three runs scored. Redshirt junior right fielder Stewart Ijames slugged his fifth home run of the season, and junior right-handed pitcher Derek Self held Rutgers scoreless over the final three innings for the save. (Box Score)
- The University of Kentucky surrendered an unearned run in the bottom of the ninth inning in a 6-5 loss to Alabama, clinching a series win for the Crimson Tide. Freshman right-handed pitcher Trevor Gott took the loss after surrendering one unearned run on two hits in two and one-third innings. Freshman center fielder Lucas Witt was 2-2 with one walk and one run scored in his return from injury. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Jordan Cooper had his second consecutive poor start after surrendering five runs on six hits in two and two-third innings. (Box Score)
- Murray State University‘s double-header versus Austin Peay was rained out. The two teams will play a double-header on Sunday.
- Eastern Kentucky University earned its first road win of the season with a 9-7 victory over Eastern Illinois. Senior right-handed pitcher Ryne Purcell was credited with the win after surrendering two runs on three hits in one inning. Senior center fielder Ryan Faidley and sophomore first baseman Alex Hughes each homered in the game, and junior shortstop Richie Rodriguez was 2-4 with a triple, three RBI and two runs scored. Senior right-handed pitcher Chris Hord pitched a scoreless ninth inning for his first save, and redshirt junior right-handed starting pitcher Matt Fyffe surrendered two runs in five innings. (Box Score)
- Morehead State University‘s double-header versus Southeast Missouri was rained out. The two teams will play a double-header on Sunday.
Hitter of the day: 2B Ryan Wright (UofL)
- Stats: 4-5, 1 HR, 1 3B, 5 RBI, 3 R
- Honorable Mention: Richie Rodriguez (EKU), Ryan Faidley (EKU), Lucas Witt (UK), Stewart Ijames (UofL), Kyle Grieshaber (UofL), Logan Robbins (WKU), Ivan Hartle (WKU)
Pitcher of the day: RHP Justin Hageman (WKU)
- Stats: 1-0, 6.2 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 8 SO
- Honorable Mention: Justin Amlung (UofL), Derek Self (UofL), Walter Wijas (UK), Matt Fyffe (EKU)