Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reports Louisville native and former Bellarmine right-handed pitcher Todd Wellemeyer, who was not assigned to a minor league team to start the season, is still rehabbing from a hip injury suffered during Spring Training. Cubs GM Jim Hendry told Rogers he expects Wellemeyer to start throwing soon.
- Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game USA has both the University of Louisville and Western Kentucky University as No. 3 seeds in his latest NCAA field of 64 projection.
- Marc Hardin, writing for the Cincinnati Enquirer, profiles Beechwood High School senior pitcher Colin Johnson, who helped Beechwood win 12 of its first 14 games and may play baseball at MIT next year.
- Ethan Levine of the Kentucky Kernel profiles University of Kentucky sophomore outfielder Brian Adams, who is currently going through spring practice as a wide receiver on the football team in addition to manning center field in most games for the baseball team.
- Brad Stephens of the College Heights Herald recaps WKU’s 3-2 win over Murray State University, noting WKU redshirt junior right-handed pitcher Rye Davis said after a poor start to 2011 he decided his season was going to start over last night.
- Nick Baumgardner of The Daily News reports WKU head coach Chris Finwood said he was going to try and pitch Davis in low-pressure situations out of the bullpen in the near future.