Recaps and highlights from Friday Kentucky college baseball action:
- Troy scored five unearned runs to send Western Kentucky University to a 6-3 loss in game one of a three-game series. Sophomore left-handed pitcher Tanner Perkins suffered just his second loss of the season after surrendering six runs, just one of which was earned, on five hits in seven innings while striking out six batters and walking three. Junior right fielder Ryan Hutchinson was 2-3 with one run scored, and junior shortstop Logan Robbins was 2-4. Sophomore first baseman Ryan Huck slugged his third home run of the season. (Box Score)
- The University of Louisville used a five-run fifth inning to earn a 7-2 win in game two of a three-game series versus South Florida. Redshirt sophomore right-handed pitcher Justin Amlung earned the win after surrendering two runs on six hits in seven innings while striking out eight batters and walking five. Junior shortstop Ryan Wright 3-4 with two home runs, two RBI and two runs scored. Senior catcher J. J. Ethel was 2-4 with two RBI and one run scored. (Box Score)
- The University of Kentucky‘s series opener versus Arkansas was rained out and will be made up as part of a double-header on Saturday beginning at 2 p.m.
- Eastern Kentucky University surrendered eight runs in the seventh inning in an 11-2 loss to UT Martin. Junior right-handed pitcher Matt Fyffe took the loss after surrendering three runs on five hits in four innings while striking out five batters and walking two. Junior left fielder Jacob Daniel was 2-4 with one triple, one RBI and one run scored. Game two of the Colonels’ scheduled double-header was suspended with EKU down 5-2 in the top of the fifth. The game will resume at noon on Saturday. (Box Score)
- Murray State University‘s double-header versus Eastern Illinois was rained out on Friday. The two teams will play a double-header on Saturday.
- Morehead State University suffered its 30th loss of the season with a 10-5 loss to Tennessee Tech in game one of a double-header. Senior right-handed pitcher Trey Smith fell to 0-8 on the season after surrendering seven runs on five hits in four and one-third innings. Junior catcher Taylor Davis was 2-4 with one home run, one RBI and one run scored, and senior second baseman Travis Redmon was 1-3 with one home run, two RBI and one run scored. Sophomore shortstop Austin Haney tallied two hits and scored twice. (Box Score)
- Morehead St. earned its second Ohio Valley Conference win of the season with a 7-3 victory over Tennessee Tech in game two of the double-header. Sophomore left-handed pitcher Garrick Whittle earned the win after surrendering three runs on eight hits in seven innings while striking out 12 batters and walking two. Junior third baseman Andrew Deeds was 2-2 with two RBI, three runs scored and two walks. (Box Score)
Hitter of the day: SS Ryan Wright (UofL)
- Stats: 3-4, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, 1 SB
- Honorable Mention: Ryan Hutchinson (WKU), J. J. Ethel (UofL), Jacob Daniel (EKU), Andrew Deeds (Morehead St.), Taylor Davis (Morehead St.)
Pitcher of the day: LHP Garrick Whittle (Morehead St.)
- Stats: 1-0, 7 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 12 SO
- Honorable Mention: Tanner Perkins (WKU), Justin Amlung (UofL)