Recaps and highlights from Tuesday Kentucky college baseball action:
- You can read the BluGrass Baseball recap of the University of Kentucky‘s 7-1 win over the University of Louisville here.
- Eastern Kentucky University surrendered 11 runs in the first two innings of its Tuesday game and never overcame the early deficit in an 18-7 loss to East Tennessee St. Freshman right-handed pitcher Blake Bottoms took the loss after surrendering six runs on eight hits in two-thirds of an inning in his second start of the season. Freshman third baseman Bryan Soloman was 3-5 with one home run, three RBI and one run scored. Sophomore designated hitter Alex Hughes slugged his third home run of the season. (Box Score)
Hitter of the day: 3B Bryan Soloman (EKU)
- Stats: 3-4, 1 HR, 2 2Bs, 3 RBI, 1 R
- Honorable Mention: Ryan Seiz (UofL), Braden Kapteyn (UK), Luke Maile (UK), Chad Wright (UK), Austin Grisham (EKU),
Pitcher of the day: RHP Jordan Cooper (UK)
- Stats: 1-0, 6.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
- Honorable Mention: RHP Chad Green (UofL), Alex Phillips (UK)
Braden Kapteyn; Photo: UK Athletics
The University of Kentucky scored three runs in the first inning and rode a strong start from sophomore right-handed pitcher Jordan Cooper to a 7-1 win over the University of Louisville. Cooper earned his third win of the season after surrendering one unearned run on five hits in six and two-third innings while striking out five batters and walking three. The Cats batted around in the first inning with senior shortstop Taylor Black, freshman right fielder J. T. Riddle and junior catcher Michael Williams tallying RBI in the inning.
UofL redshirt sophomore right-handed pitcher Mike Nastold took the loss in his first start since being demoted from the weekend rotation. Nastold surrendered four runs on five hits in two innings while walking two batters and striking out none. The UofL offense did not tally a hit until the fifth inning and plated its only run in the seventh inning after tallying three infield hits in the frame. UofL freshman first baseman Ryan Seiz was the only UofL batter with multiple hits and finished the game 2-3 with one walk and one run scored.
UK junior designated hitter Braden Kapteyn was 3-4 with one home run, one RBI and two runs scored. Sophomore first baseman Luke Maile slugged his team-high seventh home run of the season in the sixth inning. Junior left fielder Chad Wright was 3-5 with two runs scored and one RBI. Cooper was making his fourth career start against UofL and has surrendered just one earned run in 19 and two-third innings against the Cards. (Box Score)
A. J. Ellis; Photo by frankat1stbase3 via Flickr
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Steve Dilbeck of The Los Angeles Times reports the Dodgers have optioned PLD alum A. J. Ellis to AAA Albuquerque to make room for previously injured catcher Dionner Navarro.
- Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports Bowling Green native Corey Hart will return to the Milwaukee Brewers today, but may not be immediately activated from the disabled list.
- Jason Grey of ESPN.com has posted an in-depth breakdown of Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb‘s rehab appearance in extended spring training on Monday
- Michael Grant of the Courier-Journal profiles Louisville Bats outfielder Danny Dorn, who only committed to baseball full time after a shoulder injury ended his football career in high school.
- John Fay, writing for Baseball America, reports the Reds are happy with Bats’ slugger Yonder Alonso‘s transition to left field so far but caution the transition will be slow going. (Subscription required)
- University of Kentucky redshirt junior catcher T. J. Daugherty was named the UK male scholar athlete of the year at Monday’s Catspy Awards.
- Former Western Kentucky University star pitcher Matt Ridings notes via Twitter that WKU senior catcher Matt Rice was named the school’s male scholar athlete of the year at a Monday banquet.
In the second weekly leaderboard post we’ll look at the top pitching statistics through 10 weeks of the college baseball season. To be eligible for the ERA and batting average against categories, pitchers must have at least one inning per team game. Eligible players attend a Kentucky college or graduated from a Kentucky high school. Stats are current through Sunday’s games.
- Justin Amlung — UofL — 1.42 (69.2 IP)
- Derek Self — UofL — 1.55 (40.2)
- Tanner Perkins — WKU — 1.88 (67.0 IP)
- Chad Martin — Indiana (PLD) — 3.19 (53.2 IP)
- Justin Hageman — WKU — 3.23 (64.0 IP)
- Justin Amlung — UofL — 7-0
- Jeremy Dobbs — Austin Peay (Daviess Co. HS) — 7-2
- Tanner Perkins — WKU — 6-2
- Jake Donze — Murray St. — 6-2
- Justin Hageman — WKU — 6-4
- Alex Meyer — UK — 81
- Damon McCormick — Valpo (St. X) — 66
- Justin Hageman — WKU — 63
- Tanner Perkins — WKU — 56
- Justin Amlung — UofL — 53
- Damon McCormick — Valpo (St. X HS) — 72.0
- Alex Meyer — UK — 71.2
- Justin Amlung — UofL — 69.2
- Tanner Perkins — WKU — 67.0
- Justin Hageman — WKU — 64.0
- Tony Zych — UofL — 10
- Mike Kaczmarek — UK — 4
- Cameron Finch — Murray St. — 4
- Phil Wetherell — WKU — 4
- Ryne Purcell — EKU — 4
Batting Average Against
- Derek Self — UofL — .181
- Justin Amlung — UofL — .187
- Tanner Perkins — WKU — .210
- Damon McCormick — Valpo (St. X) — .216
- Alex Meyer — UK — .230
- Phil Wetherell — WKU — 21
- Alex Phillips — UK — 20
- Taylor Haydell — WKU — 20
- Nick Maronde — Florida (Lexington Catholic) — 20
- Matt Harris — EKU — 19
- Trevor Gott — UK — 19
- Tony Zych — UofL — 19
With strong storms predicted for much of the state over the next two days, weather figures to play a major role in midweek college baseball action. Two schools have already postponed or canceled Tuesday games. Check out the midweek schedule as it stands for now below with probable starters listed when available:
- 4 p.m. — Eastern Kentucky University (14-26) vs. East Tennessee State — RHP Blake Bottoms (0-0 5.68 ERA) — Live Stats
- 7 p.m. — University of Louisville (22-17) @ University of Kentucky (19-22) — RHP Mike Nastold (3-4, 3.53 ERA) vs. RHP Jordan Cooper (2-1, 4.96 ERA) — Gametracker
- 2 p.m. — EKU vs. East Tennessee St. — LHP Paul Duncan (0-2, 9.45 ERA) — Live Stats
- 3 p.m. (CT) — Murray State University (14-23) vs. Mid-Continent University (24-26)
- 4 p.m. (CT) — Western Kentucky University (25-16) vs. N0. 4 Vanderbilt — RHP Taylor Haydel (5-3, 6.99 ERA) — Live Stats
- 6:30 p.m. — Morehead State University (7-30) vs. Kentucky Wesleyan College (12-19) — Live Stats
Check out the weekly edition of the college baseball leaderboard below. We’ll look at batting statistics today, remembering that players must have 2.5 at-bats per team game to be eligible for the batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage catergories. Stats are current through Sunday’s games.
- Brandon Elliott — Murray St. — .425 (48-113)
- Richie Rodriguez — EKU — .385 (60-156)
- Taylor Davis — Morehead St. — .378 (48-127)
- Jacob Daniel — EKU — .376 (53-141)
- Andrew Deeds — Morehead St. — .375 (51-136)
- Taylor Davis — Morehead St. — 11
- Stewart Ijames — UofL — 8
- Jacob Daniel — EKU — 8
- Matt Rice — WKU — 8
- Bryan Soloman — EKU — 7
- Matt Rice — WKU — 45
- Justin Riddell — Cincinnati (Lexington Catholic) — 40
- Braden Kapteyn — UK – 38
- Jacob Daniel — EKU — 37
- Andrew Deeds — Morehead St. — 35
- Matt Rice — WKU — 40
- Jared Andreoli — WKU — 37
- Kes Carter — WKU — 37
- Braden Kapteyn — UK — 35
- Ivan Hartle — WKU — 35
- Andrew Deeds — Morehead St. — 35
- Richie Rodriguez — EKU — 16/18
- Logan Robbins — WKU — 14/17
- Chad Wright — UK — 14/18
- Ryan Wright — UofL — 13/14
- Jared Andreoli — WKU — 12/16
- Brandon Elliott — Murray St. — .496
- Taylor Davis — Morehead St. — .481
- Kes Carter — WKU — .463
- Richie Rodriguez — EKU — .461
- Jacob Daniel — EKU — .456
- Andrew Deeds — Morehead St. — .456
- Taylor Davis — Morehead St. — .732
- Andrew Deeds — Morehead St. — .654
- Jacob Daniel — EKU — .610
- Matt Rice — WKU — .587
- Kes Carter — WKU — .570
Chris Dominguez; UofL Photo
Highlights from Monday Kentucky MiLB action:
- The Louisville Bats‘ blew a two-run ninth inning lead in a 6-5 loss to Toledo. Two-time National League All-Star Dontrelle Willis took a no decision despite surrendering just three runs on six hits in seven innings while striking out four batters and walking two.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods used a strong pitching performance from right-handed pitcher Victor Mateo in a 2-1 win over South Bend. Mateo earned his first win after surrendering one run on four hits in six innings while striking out seven batters and walking two.
- The Lexington Legends scored a single run in the bottom of the 10th inning to earn a 7-6 win over Kannapolis in game one of the team’s homestand. Shortstop Jiovanni Mier and third baseman Michael Kvasnicka both homered for the Legends.
- Mt. Sterling native and former Morehead St. infielder Drew Lee was 3-4 with his first home run of the season, three RBI and one run scored for Kannapolis in the game.
- Walton native and former NKU outfielder Jake Shaffer extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a 2-5 performance for AA Jackson. Shaffer is batting .370 on the season.
- Lexington native and former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill was 3-4 with one double, two RBI and one run scored f0r AAA Reno. Cowgill has multiple hits in gour consecutive games.
- Louisville native and former UofL infielder Adam Duvall was 2-5 with two RBI for low A Augusta.
- Former UofL third baseman Chris Dominguez slugged his fifth home run of the season for high A San Jose.
- Lafayette High School alum Chaz Roe took a no decision after surrendering three runs on seven hits in five and two-third innings while striking out four batters and walking none for AAA Tacoma.
- Louisville native Seth Bynum homered for the second straight game and third time this season for AAA Syracuse.
- Trinity High School alum Tyler Kuhn was 2-4 with one home run, two RBI and two runs scored for AA Birmingham.
Alex Meyer; UK Athletics photo
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- University of Kentucky junior right-handed pitcher Alex Meyer was named the Southeastern Conference pitcher of the week following his complete-game win versus Arkansas.
- Morehead State University sophomore left-handed pitcher Garrick Whittle was named the Ohio Valley Conference pitcher of the week after his 12-strikeout game versus Tennessee Tech.
- Doug Miller of MLB.com reports the Seattle Mariners will option Highland Heights native and former NKU right-handed pitcher Josh Lueke to AAA Tacoma before Tuesday’s game. Lueke is 1-1 with a 17.05 ERA in eight games this season.
- Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com reports Ashland native and former UK right-handed pitcher Brandon Webb threw two innings in an extended spring game on Monday.
- PLD alum A. J. Ellis was at the center of a minor controversy over the weekend when he attempted to steal second base with the Dodgers up big late in their game versus the Cubs on Friday. Dave van Dyck of the Chicago Tribune reports the stolen base attempt was the result of a missed sign, not a breach of baseball etiquette.
- After conferring UK, Arkansas, the SEC and NCAA have decided to count the statistics from the unfinished sixth inning of the two teams’ Sunday finale. The scoring change means the final score of the game was 5-1 instead of 4-1.
Alex Meyer; UK Athletics photo
It’s time for the week 10 college baseball awards. Check out a rundown of the week’s best hitting, pitching and freshmen performances below:
Hitter of the week: INF Ryan Wright (UofL)
- Stats: 8-15 (.533), 2 HR, 1 2B, 5 RBI, 3 R, 2 BB, 4 SBs
- Honorable Mention: Matt Rice (WKU), Ryan Huck (WKU), Thomas McCarthy (UK), Luke Maile (UK), Jacob Rhodes (Murray St.), Bryan Soloman (EKU), Andrew Deeds (Morehead St.)
Pitcher of the week: RHP Alex Meyer (UK)
- Stats: 1-0, 9 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 10 SO
- Honorable Mention: Derek Self (UofL), Justin Amlung (UofL), Jordan Cooper (UK), Corey Littrell (UK), Jake Donze (Murray St.), Stephen Hefler (EKU), Garrick Whittle (Morehead St.), Josh Schneider (Morehead St.)
Freshman of the week: LHP Corey Littrell (UK)
- Stats: 1-0, 5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
- Honorable Mention: Scott Wilcox (WKU), Kyle Gibson (UofL), Ryan Seiz (UofL), Matt Reida (UK), Brandon Eggenschwiler (Murray St.), Bryan Soloman (EKU), Blake Bottoms (EKU), Noah Smallwood (Morehead St.)
Colling Cowgill; Photo: UK Athletics
Highlights from Sunday Kentucky MiLB action:
- The Louisville Bats received a strong start from rehabbing Cincinnati Reds right-handed pitcher Homer Bailey and pounded out 13 hits in a 9-0 win over Toledo. Bailey surrendered three hits in five and one-third shutout innings while striking out six batters and walking one. Designated hitter Yonder Alonso, first baseman Eric Eymann and second baseman Kris Negron each homered in the game.
- Walton native and former NKU outfielder Jake Shaffer extended his hitting streak to 10 games and was 3-6 with one double, two RBI and two runs scored for AA Jackson. Shaffer is batting .368 with three home runs, 10 RBI and 13 runs scored on the season.
- Lexington native and former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill was 2-5 with one triple, one home run, one RBI and two runs scored for AAA Reno.
- Former UK left-handed pitcher Chris Rusin took a no decision after surrendering three runs, two of which were earned, on seven hits in five innings while striking out three batters and walking one for AA Tennessee.
- Louisville native Seth Bynum slugged his second home run of the season for AAA Syracuse.
- Trinity alum Tyler Kuhn was 2-4 with one double, one triple, one RBI, one walk and two runs scored for AA Birmingham.