In the next June awards post we’ll look at the Lexington Legends:
Hitter of the month: 1B Aaron Bray
- Stats: 25-64 (.391), 16 RBI, 10 R
- Honorable Mention: Jacob Goebbert, Miguel Arrendell, Jose Altuve, J. D. Martinez
Pitcher of the month: RHP Zachary Grimmett
- Stats: 1-0, 1.80 ERA, 7 G, 28 SO/5 BB, 20 IP
- Honorable Mention: Luis Cruz, Wander Alvino, Jose Trinidad, Robert Donovan
Marcus Nidiffer, center; Photo: UK Athletics
Check out highlights from Kentucky-related Minor League play Tuesday with links taking you to game box scores:
- Cuban phenom Aroldis Chapman blew his first save since moving to the bullpen in the Louisville Bats‘ 7-5 loss to the Durham Bulls. Cincinnati Reds right-handed pitcher Edison Volquez surrendered two runs in six innings and struck out seven in his second rebah start with the Bats.
- First baseman Aaron Bray tallied four hits and scored twice to lead the Lexington Legends to a 6-5 victory over the Hickory Crawdads. Right-handed pitcher Zachary Grimmett earned the win with four scoreless innings out of the Lexington bullpen.
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods‘ offense was held in check by the Lansing Lugnuts in a 4-2 loss. Right-handed pitcher Kirby Yates took a no decision after surrendering two runs in five innings in his fourth start of the season.
- Former UK catcher Marcus Nidiffer continued to make teams look foolish for not drafting him with a 3-7, double-header performance for the Greeneville Astros. Nidiffer launched his first two professional home runs and drove in four runs on the day. He’s batting .435 in his young career.
- Former UK second baseman Chris Bisson made his professional debut for the short-season Eugene Emeralds with an 0-3 performance. He did walk, steal a base and score.
- Former UofL left-handed pitcher and 2010 draftee Dean Kiekhefer has been promoted to the low A Quad City River Bandits where he made his debut with four scoreless innings of relief Tuesday.
- Former NKU outfielder Jacob Shafer was 3-4 with a run scored Tuesday for the high A High Desert Mavericks and is 6-8 in his last two games with two runs scored.
- Former NKU right-handed pitcher Nathan Jones moved to 6-2 on the season for the high A Winston-Salem Dash after allowing four runs in six and two-third innings Tuesday.
- In his first start for the AA Akron Aeros former Union College right-handed pitcher Marty Popham took a no decision despite allowing just one run in six innings. He struck out six and walked none.
- Boyd County native Tyler Gatrell recorded his first professional save by striking out two of the three batters he faced for the rookie-level AZL Royals.
The Lexington Legends have announced their 2010 Opening Day roster after the parent club Houston Astros confirmed Minor League player assignments Sunday. The team will be headlined by 2009 first-round pick shortstop Jiovanni Mier, ranked the No. 2 prospect in the Astros’ organization by Baseball America. Fourteen of the new Legends were 2009 draft picks. Pitchers David Duncan, Arcenio Leon and Jose Trinidad, infielder Kody Hinze and infielder-outfielder Andy Simunic each spent part of 2009 with the Legends and catcher Jonathan Fixler was a Legend in 2008. Four Opening Day Legends were ranked by Baseball America as one of the top 30 prospects in the Astros’ organization, and I’ve included their rankings in parentheses when applicable. Each pitcher is listed by throwing arm, and batters’ information is listed bats/throws. (Numbers have not yet been assigned.)
- RHP — Bushue, Tanner (BA #7) — 2nd round (2009)
- RHP — Cisnero, Jose — NDFA (2007)
- RHP — Clark, Kirk — FA (2009)
- RHP — Donovan, Robert — 23rd round (2009)
- LHP — Duncan, David — 5th round (2008)
- RHP — Leon, Arcenio (BA #19) — NDFA (2005)
- RHP — MacDonald, James — 18th round (2009)
- RHP — Minaya, Juan — NDFA (2008)
- LHP — Pitkin, Colton — 41st round (2007)
- RHP — Sarisky, Daniel — 40th round (2009)
- RHP — Schurz, Michael — 44th round (2009)
- RHP — Trinidad, Jose — NDFA (2006)
- RHP — Walker, Brandt — 8th round (2009)
- Fixler, Jonathan — R/R — 19th round (2007)
- Garcia, Rene — R/R — 35th round (2008)
- Altuve, Jose — R/R — NDFA (2006)
- Arrendell, Miguel — L/R — NDFA (2006)
- Bray, Aaron — L/R — 27th round (2009)
- Hinze, Kody — R/R — FA 2008
- Meyer, Jonathan (BA #18) — S/R — 3rd round (2009)
- Mier, Jiovanni (BA#2) — R/R — 1st round (21st overall pick) (2009)
- Simunic, Andrew — R/R — 17th round (2008)
- Goebbert, Jacob — L/L — 13th round (2009)
- Hogue, Grant — S/R — 35th round (2009)
- Kemp, Brian — R/R — 19th round (2009)
- Martinez, Julio — R/R — 20th round (2009)