In the third August awards post we’ll look at the month’s best performances from the Bowling Green Hot Rods:
Hitter of the month: 3B Julio Cedeno
- Stats: .352/.377/.533, 2 HR, 21 RBI, 13 R
- Honorable Mention: Ty Morrison, Robi Estrada, Tomas Francisco, Ty Bortnick
Pitcher of the month: LHP Kyle Lobstein
- Stats: 1-3, 3.74 ERA, 34 SO/11 BB, 33.2 IP, 6 GS
- Honorable Mention: Aaron Dott, Matthew Stablefeld, Albert Suarez
Richie Rowland; Photo: Campbellsville University
While draftees may have garnered most of the headlines Monday, current minor leaguers were also in action. Check out some highlights from Monday Kentucky MiLB play:
- The Bowling Green Hot Rods snapped a five-game losing streak with a 4-0 win over Great Lakes. Left-handed reliever Aaron Dott earned the win after holding the Loon scoreless on three hits in four innings.
- In the completion of a previously suspended game, the Lexington Legends mustered just five hits in a 5-3 loss to West Virginia. Right-handed reliever Wander Alvino took the loss after surrendering two unearned runs in three and two-third innings.
- In game two the Legends used seven innings of one run ball from left-handed pitcher Luis Cruz for a 7-1 win over the Power. Left fielder Jacob Goebbert was 2-3 with four RBI and a run scored.
- The Louisville Bats were off.
- Former Morehead St. shortstop and 2010 White Sox draftee Drew Lee was 3-5 with two home runs, three RBI and two runs scored for rookie-level Bristol.
- Former Campbellsville catcher and 2010 Diamondbacks’ NDFA Richie Rowland slugged his fifth home run of the season for rookie-level Missoula.
- Louisville native Seth Bynum slugged his 12th home run of the season for AAA Syracuse.
- Lexington native and 2010 Nationals draftee Tyler Oliver was 2-3 with a double, home run, five RBI and two runs scored for the rookie-level GCL Nationals.
- Former NKU right-handed pitcher Josh Lueke earned his first win for AA Tacoma and improved to 5-2 on the season with two innings of relief.
- Trinity High School alum Tyler Kuhn was 3-6 with a run scored and two walks in a double header for AA Birmingham.
In the fourth July awards post we’ll look at the month’s best performances from the Bowling Green Hot Rods:
Hitter of the month: 2B Tyler Bortnick
- Hot Rods speedster Tyler Bortnick will probably never confuse anyone for a middle-of-the-order slugger, but he does his job well at the top of the Bowling Green lineup. In July he led all Hot Rods with a .341 batting average. He also scored 12 times, drove in eight runs and stole 11 bases.
- Honorable Mention: Cody Rogers, Bennett Davis, Gabe Cohen, Brett Nommensen
Pitcher of the month: RHP Scott Shuman
- July was not kind to Hot Rods starting pitcher, but several relievers posted standout performances headlined by closer Scott Shuman. The right-handed pitcher went 2-0 with a 2.84 ERA and two saves in nine appearances. Shuman struck out 20 and walked eight in 12 and two-thirds innings.
- Honorable Mention: Jake Sullivan, Deivis Mavarez, Alex Koronis, Aaron Dott, Tyree Hayes