One of the busiest names in the BluGrass Baseball offseason is likely to be Louisville-native and Florida Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla, who is in line for a large arbitration raise. The Marlins appear destined to move the slugger, who ranks seventh on the Kentucky native career home runs list. With that in mind, here is some of the buzz surrounding Uggla (hat tip to MLBTradeRumors.com for several stories).
- Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald says the Marlins’ No. 1 priority this offseason is moving Uggla for young, cheap players.
- Peter Schmuck of The Baltimore Sun says the Orioles will probably go with a better defensive third baseman than Uggla.
- Keith Law of ESPN.com says it’s a good time to move Uggla. (subscription required)
- Frankie Piliere of Fanhouse.com says you can’t fault the Marlins for their strategy of trading successful players like Uggla after their results in developing young players.
- Joe Frisaro of MLB.com touches on some Uggla rumors in his mailbag, and says dreams of a Adrian Gonzalez for Uggla swap are very unrealistic.