Ryan Wright; BluGrass Baseball photo
Recaps and highlights from Sunday Kentucky college baseball action:
- Western Kentucky University rallied for three runs over the final two innings to earn a 7-5 win over Louisiana-Monroe to clinch the series victory. Redshirt senior right-handed pitcher Brian Edelen earned the win after surrendering one run on two hits in five and two-third innings of relief while striking out four batters and walking three. Junior second baseman Ivan Hartle was 2-3 with one walk, two RBI and two runs scored, and sophomore first baseman Ryan Huck slugged his fifth home run of the season. (Box Score)
- The University of Louisville used a six-run seventh inning to earn a 9-4 win over Georgetown that finished the three-game sweep of the Hoyas. Freshman right-handed pitcher Andy Flett earned the win after pitching two and one-third perfect innings. Redshirt junior right fielder Stewart Ijames was 2-5 with one home run, two RBI and one run scored, and freshman left fielder Kyle Grieshaber was 2-3 with one walk, three RBI and two runs scored. Junior shortstop Ryan Wright was 2-4 with two RBI and one run scored. (Box Score)
- Murray State University used a six-run fourth inning to earn a 6-2 win in a rain-shortened game versus Southeast Missouri. Junior left-handed pitcher Luke Shuemaker earned the win after surrendering two runs on four hits in four innings while striking out two batters and walking none. Sophomore third baseman Paul Ritzheimer was 2-2 with one RBI and one run scored, and senior center fielder Elliot Frey was 1-2 with two RBI and one run scored. (Box Score)
- Eastern Kentucky University avoided a series sweep by Tennessee Tech with a 7-3 win in the series finale Sunday. Senior right-handed pitcher Stephen Hefler improved to 5-4 on the season after surrendering three runs on seven hits in seven innings while striking out five batters and walking one. Freshman third baseman Bryan Soloman continued his hot hitting with a 3-5, two RBI, one run scored performance. Junior second baseman Dustin Dunlop tallied three RBI in the game. (Box Score)
- Morehead State University surrendered over 20 runs for the fourth time this season and over 15 runs for the ninth time this season in a 24-5 loss to Austin Peay. Freshman left-handed pitcher Noah Smallwood took the loss after surrendering 10 runs on eight hits in three and one-third innings. Junior catcher Taylor Davis was 3-5 with two RBI, and junior third baseman Andrew Deeds was 2-2 with two walks. (Box Score)
Hitter of the day: LF Kyle Grieshaber (UofL)
- Stats: 2-3, 1 BB, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Honorable Mention: Ivan Hartle (WKU), Ryan Wright (UofL), Stewart Ijames (UofL), Paul Ritzheimer (Murray St.), Bryan Soloman (EKU), Taylor Davis (Morehead St.), Andrew Deeds (Morehead St.)
Pitcher of the day: RHP Stephen Hefler (EKU)
- Stats: 1-0, 7 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
- Honorable Mention: Brian Edelen (WKU), RHP Chad Green (UofL), Luke Shuemaker (Murray St.)
Thomas McCarthy; UK photo by Chet White
Recaps and highlights from Tuesday Kentucky college baseball action:
- You can read the BluGrass Baseball recap of Western Kentucky University‘s 15-5 win over the University of Louisville here.
- The University of Kentucky scored six runs in the first inning and rode a strong start from sophomore right-handed pitcher Jordan Cooper to a 15-2 win over Xavier. Cooper, who was making his first start since being demoted from the weekend rotation, earned the win after surrendering two runs on six hits in five innings while striking out six batters and walking none. Junior third baseman Thomas McCarthy was 2-4 with one home run, five RBI and three runs scored, and junior designated hitter Braden Kapteyn was 3-5 with one RBI and four runs scored. Sophomore first baseman Luke Maile slugged a grand slam, and sophomore center fielder Brian Adams added a home run. (Box Score)
- Eastern Kentucky University scored five runs in the first inning and never looked back in a 9-6 win over Marshall. Junior left fielder Jacob Daniel was 3-4 with one double, one triple, four RBI and one run scored, and junior shortstop Richie Rodriguez was 3-4 with one walk, three runs scored and two stolen bases. Junior left-handed pitcher Greg Terry earned the win after surrendering one unearned run on four hits in four innings while striking out two batters and walking none. Junior right-handed pitcher Matt Harris recorded the final two outs of the game for his first save. (Box Score)
Hitter of the day: 3B Thomas McCarthy (UK)
- Stats: 2-4, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 3 R
- Honorable Mention: Ryan Wright (UofL), Matt Rice (WKU), Chris Bullard (WKU), Jared Andreoli (WKU), Brian Adams (UK), Braden Kapteyn (UK), Jacob Daniel (EKU), Richie Rodriguez (EKU)
Pitcher of the day: RHP Jordan Cooper (UK)
- Stats: 1-0, 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO
- Honorable Mention: Andy Flett (UofL), Ross Hammonds (WKU), Braden Kapteyn (UK), Greg Terry (EKU)
Kentucky teams were 1-2 on the diamond Tuesday, with Eastern Kentucky University the only team able to secure a win. Murray State University‘s game at Arkansas State was canceled. Check out the recaps below, including one from a classic game between two top 25 teams:
- No. 9 University of Louisville lost an 11-10 heartbreaker to No. 23 Vanderbilt on a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 17th inning. The game tied the record for longest in UofL history and lasted five hours and 33 minutes. Senior catcher Jeff Arnold was 4-8 in the game, and senior first baseman Andrew Clark was 4-7. Senior third baseman Phil Wunderlich tallied three hits and drove in two runs. Freshman right-handed pitcher Andy Flett took the loss in his first collegiate decision after surrendering the decisive home run to Vandy third baseman Jason Espositio. (Box Score)
- Despite two home runs from junior right fielder Lance Ray, the University of Kentucky couldn’t hold on to a eight-run lead in a 18-17 loss in 10 innings to Indiana. The Cats led 16-8 in the eighth inning, but Indiana scored five runs in the eighth and three in the bottom of the ninth to send the game to extra innings. UK actually took a lead with one run in the top of the tenth, but the Hoosiers scored twice in the bottom of the frame to win. Senior catcher Marcus Nidiffer was 5-7 with a home run, and sophomore designated hitter Braden Kapteyn also homered. (Box Score)
- Eastern Kentucky University rode two home runs and three RBI from senior first baseman Anthony Ottrando to a 7-5 win over Dayton. Sophomore shortstop Richie Rodriguez and senior catcher Joey Stevens each tallied three hits in the game. Sophomore right-handed reliever Matt Harris recorded the win after a scoreless inning of work. Junior right-handed pitcher Ryne Purcell recorded his ninth save of the season despite allowing one run in one inning. (Box Score)
Hitter of the day: RF Lance Ray (UK)
- Stats: 4-5, 2 HR, 4 R, 5 RBI, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SB
- Honorable Mention: Marcus Nidiffer (UK), Anthony Ottrando (EKU), Richie Rodriguez (EKU), Andrew Clark (UofL), Jeff Arnold (UofL)
Pitcher of the day: RHP Matt Harris (EKU)
- Stats: 1-0, 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 SO
- Honorable Mention: Anthony Bazzani (EKU), Bob Revesz (UofL), Tyler Mathis (UofL), Braden Kapteyn (UK)
University of Louisville senior first baseman Andrew Clark blasted a two-run home run in the seventh inning to break a 2-2 tie and send the Cards to a 7-2 victory over Morehead State. UofL added three more runs in the eighth inning. Clark finished the game 2-4 with two home runs and two RBI. Sophomore shortstop Ryan Wright also added a triple and a home run and finished the afternoon with three RBI.
Redshirt senior right-handed reliever Matt Lea earned the victory with two scoreless innings of relief. Redshirt freshman Justin Amlung allowed only one hit in four innings of relief of freshman starting pitcher Andy Flett, who failed to make it past the second inning.
No Morehead State player had more than one hit in the game, but senior shortstop Drew Lee and senior first baseman Michael Bottoms each drove in a run. Sophomore left-handed starting pitcher Tyler Heineman allowed only two runs, one earned, in five innings for the Eagles. Morehead sophomore designated hitter/reliever Cameron Flynn took the loss after allowing one run in two-thirds of an inning. (Box Score)
Morehead fell to 2-3 on the season, and UofL improved to 4-0.
BluGrass Baseball POG: Ryan Wright — The sophomore shortstop was 2-3 with two runs scored and three RBI for the Cardinals. Wright added a triple and a home run for good measure and walked twice. He also recorded three putouts and three assists in the field.