- UK alum Joe Blanton picked up his 11th win of the season with seven shutout innings for the Phillies.
- Louisville native Dan Uggla hit his 30th home run of the season for Florida.
- Former Bat Edwin Encarnacion hit two home runs for the Blue Jays.
- Mark Reynolds Home Run Record Watch: 1-5, 1 2b, 1 R, 1 RBI
- The Bowling Green Daily News reports on Matthew Moore being named the Hot Rods’ MVP and Anthony Scelfo being named one of seven finalists for the Erik Walker Community Champin Award.
The MLB trade season is officially in full gear with three major moves Wednesday. We told you about the Mariners/Pirates deal that sent Hardin County native Nathan Adcock to Pittsburgh, but the biggest trade of the day may also have Kentucky implications. The Phillies received reigning AL Cy Young winner Cliff Lee for four prospects. With Lee and Pedro Martinez joining the Philadelphia rotation, two pitchers must move to the pen and one candidate is UK alum Joe Blanton. Blanton leads the team in innings, has a 4.11 ERA and has a history of good second halves so hopefully his spot is safe.
Check out more trade breakdown and other, BluGrass Baseball news in today’s hot links:
- According to David Murphy at the Philadelphia Inquirer Blanton’s rotation spot looks safe.
- Baseball America breaks down the prospects, including Adcock, in the Pirates/Mariners deal.
- Dejan Kovacevic writes about Adcock and the other prospects the Pirates received in two trades Wednesday.
- Steve Kornacki quotes Tigers manager Jim Leyland in saying that the Yankees and one other team have interest in former EKU Colonel and Lexington Legend Josh Anderson.
- The Reds traded former Louisville Bat Robert Manuel for OF Wladimir Balentien.
- SI’s John Heyman tweets that the Mets are interested in former UK pitcher Scott Downs
Hit the jump for more BluGrass Baseball news
Thursday saw a chance for some of the brightest college baseball stars to showcase their skills on won of the most historic fields in the country. See which former Kentucky high school star took home MVP honors in the Cape Cod All-Star game at Fenway Park in today’s links:
- PRP alum and current Arkansas third baseman Zach Cox was the star of the rain-shortened Cape Cod League All-Star game with 2 RBI Thursday. Baseball America reports Cox was named the MVP of the game.
- The Legends split a double header with Lake County.
- Anthony Scelfo hit two home runs in Bowling Green’s 10-5 victory over Hagerstown.
- Ben Jukich wasn’t quite Mark Buehrle, but he was perfect through five innings in Louisville’s 3-1 victory over Buffalo.
- The Reds’ official Web site profiles Louisville outfielder Chris Hesiey.
- Thursday was the 91st anniversary of the birth of Kentucky baseball legend Pee Wee Reese.