Before we get to this morning’s links I’d just like to pass on congratulations to Lexington Legends outfielder Brian Pellegrini for becoming the franchise’s all-time home run leader with 33 long balls. Pellegrini hit 21 home runs in his first season in Lexington in 2008 and has added 12 home runs since returning to Lexington in 2009 after starting the season with High A Lancaster. The “Big Pelli” broke the record on June 15 with his first home run in a two-homer game against Asheville. Tommy Whiteman previously held the record with 28 career home runs. While working the media relations department for the Legends last summer I found Pellegrini to be a refreshing change from the usual minor leaguer. Brian embraced Lexington and didn’t just view it as a minor step on the way to millions.
Now for the links:
- Mark Maloney at the Herald-Leader recaps the Legends’ 1-0 walk-off victory over Rome Tuesday.
- The Courier-Journal details the Bats’ 2-1 loss to Toledo.
- Bowling Green won a pitcher’s duel 3-2 over Augusta.
- Ryan Streiby, John Shelby, Ben Revere, Chaz Roe and Trystan Magnuson each had impressive showings Tuesday.
- Chris Rusin has been added to the roster of the Rookie AZL Cubs.
- Good news for the 2010 Legends…Houston has signed its first 11 picks in the 2009 draft and 24 of its first 25.
- Tampa Bay hasn’t had as much luck. The Rays still haven’t signed any of their first five picks.
- Don’t forget the live chat at “Cat Scratches” with UK Head Coach Gary Henderson and sophomore phenom Alex Meyer at 11:45 a.m.