Chris Bisson; Photo: UK Athletics
Bowling Green State jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, but the University of Kentucky scored three in the second and took the lead on a three-run Chris Bisson home run in the sixth. UK also got a 3-3, one home run, three run and two RBI performance from the eight spot in the lineup. Sophomore catcher Michael Williams started the game in the eight spot with a 2-2 performance but left the game after being hit in the head by a pitch in the sixth. Freshman catcher Luke Maile homered in his first career at-bat in the eighth.
On the mound junior left-handed pitcher Logan Darnell earned the win after allowing four runs in six innings. Darnell struck out seven and walked just two. Senior center fielder Keenan Wiley and junior first baseman Lance Ray also drove in runs for the Cats. UK improved to 6-0 on the season with the sweep of BGSU. (Box Score)
BluGrass Baseball POG: Chris Bisson — Bisson was 2-5 with two runs scored and four RBI in the game. The All-American second baseman put the Cats ahead for good with his sixth-inning three-run home run and added an RBI triple in the eighth. Bisson, a Canadian, was also quite happy after the game when I told him Canada was up 1-0 in the gold medal hockey game.
UK second baseman Chris Bisson bats in the first inning against Bowling Green State
I’m on official assignment at Cliff Hagan Stadium for BluGrass Baseball and will keep an inning-by-inning updated of the game below:
Top of First Inning
- BGSU sophomore shortstop Jon Berti strikes out swinging.
- Senior second baseman Logan Meisley walks.
- Senior first baseman Dennis Vaughn fouls out to third base.
- Senior third baseman Derek Spencer grounds out third baseman Andy Burns to first baseman Gunner Glad.
Bottom of First Inning
- UK junior second baseman Chris Bisson flies out to to left field.
- Sophomore left fielder Chad Wright grounds out, shortstop to first base.
- Sophomore third baseman Andy Burns walks.
- Senior catcher Marcus Nidiffer walks, Burns to second.
- Senior first baseman Gunner Glad flies out to center field.
Top of the Second Inning
- Senior catcher Tyler Elkins grounds out shortstop Taylor Black to first baseman Gunner Glad.
- Senior right fielder Mark Galvin doubles to left-center field gap.
- Senior designated hitter Brandon McFarland flies out to left fielder Chad Wright.
- Sophomore left fielder Patrick Martin struck out swinging.
Bottom of the Second Inning
- Senior center fielder Keenan Wiley grounds out 4-3.
- Redshirt junior right fielder Neiko Johnson flies out to deep center where BGSU senior T. J. Blanton makes a Willie Mays-like catch.
- Redshirt sophomore designated hitter Navarro Hall, making his first career start, flies out to left field.
The University of Louisville started it’s 2010 Big East title defense in convincing fashion with a 13-1 blowout victory over Bowling Green State. Senior first baseman Andrew Clark and redshirt sophomore outfielder Stewart Ijames each drove in three runs, and Ijames and senior second baseman Adam Duvall each had three hits. Leadoff man and junior outfielder Josh Richmond scored for runs for the Cards.
Junior right-handed pitcher Thomas Royse earned his first victory of the season after allowing two hits and one unearned run in five innings. Royse struck out five batters. Redshirt freshman pitcher Justin Amlung closed out the game with two scoreless innings in his Cards debut. As a staff, the Cards struck out nine batters without walking any. (Box Score)
BluGrass Baseball POG: Stewart Ijames — Ijames was an all-Big East performer as a freshman, but missed all of 2009 with a shoulder injury. The outfielder picked up where he left off before injury in his redshirt sophomore campaign with three hits and three RBI in the season opener.
The college season officially kicks off this afternoon with four of the Division 1 Kentucky programs in action. Check out the composite weekend schedule below with information about where you can listen or watch the game. Gametracker links will take you to the livestream of the radio broadcast. I’ve also included each teams probable starting pitcher and Baseball America ranking in parentheses when applicable. Clicking on each team’s name will take you to the university’s preview of the series.
University of Louisville (13)
- Friday — 2:00 p.m. — vs. Bowling Green — RHP Thomas Royse — Gametracker — Cards TV — Watch
- Saturday — 1:00 p.m. — vs. Bowling Green — LHP Dean Kiekhefer — Gametracker — Cards TV — Watch
- Sunday — 1:00 p.m. — vs. Bowling Green — RHP Tony Zych — Gametracker — Cards TV — Watch
University of Kentucky
- Friday — 12:00 p.m. — vs. Virginia Tech (in Myrtle Beach) — RHP Alex Meyer — Gametracker — UK AA LiveBlog
- Saturday — 12:00 p.m. — vs. West Virginia (in Myrtle Beach) — LHP Taylor Rogers — Gametracker
- Sunday — 3:00 p.m. — vs. Coastal Carolina (12) (in Myrtle Beach) — LHP Logan Darnell — Gametracker
Western Kentucky University
- Friday — 4:00 p.m. — vs. Kent State — RHP Matt Ridings — Live stats (available at start time)
- Saturday — 3:00 p.m. — vs. Kent State — LHP Tanner Perkins
- Sunday — 1:00 p.m. — vs. Kent State — RHP Shane Cameron
Murray State University
- Friday — 5:00 p.m. — @ Lipscomb — RHP Chris Craycraft — Live Stats (available at first pitch)
- Saturday — 3:00 p.m. — @ Lipscomb — LHP Jake Donze —
- Sunday — 2:00 p.m. — @ Lipscomb — RHP Marc Harmon —
Morehead State University
- Friday — 4:00 p.m. — @ Mercer — RHP Michael Bottoms — Live Stats (Available at first pitch)
- Saturday (1) — 1:00 p.m. – @ Mercer — RHP Jeff Arnold
- Saturday (2) — After GM 1 — @ Mercer — RHP Trey Smith
- Sunday — 1:00 p.m. — @ Mercer — RHP Quentin Morgan