- The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association named University of Louisville junior infielder Ryan Wright a second-team preseason All American.
- Eastern Kentucky University has announced its 100 Years of Baseball celebration for the upcoming season. EKU will unveil its All-Century baseball team on Feb. 5.
- Butler High School infielder Ryan Asher, Mercer County High School corner infielder Colin Buckner and Knox Central High School right-handed pitcher Justin King have signed to play baseball at Lincoln Memorial University.
- Bob Livingston of the Daily Republican Register reports several former Wabash Valley College baseball players are moving on to Kentucky universities: Noah Zipko and Alex Gordon have signed with Murray State University and Steve Hodgins has signed with Western Kentucky University.
- The Tampa Bay Rays have announced Brady Williams will return as the Bowling Green Hot Rods manager in 2011.
Tuesday was media day for each of the state’s three minor-league teams. I wasn’t able to attend because of class and the UK/UofL college game, but check out these profiles and recaps of the proceedings from the state’s media:
- Michael Grant of the Courier-Journal reports the Louisville Bats will have eight of the Reds’ top ten prospects in Baseball America‘s rankings in addition to Kentucky natives Chris Burke and Josh Anderson.
- The C-J also reports Cuban phenom Aroldis Chapman may make his home debut for the Bats on April 16.
- Mark Maloney of the Herald-Leader reports Lexington Legends manager Rodney Linares is happy to be back with the team.
- Michael Compton of the Bowling Green Daily News talks to Hot Rods manager Brady Williams and outfielder Ty Morrison about the importance of interacting with the local fans.
- USA Today lists Louisville Slugger Field as one of ten distinctive minor-league venues to visit.
Arbitration filings were the story of the weekend with two of the state’s best players officially filing with their teams. Check out those stories and others on your MLK day.
- Michael Compton of The Daily News interviews new Bowling Green Hot Rods manager Brady Williams.
- Aaron Fitt of Baseball America examines where James Paxton might go from here after Friday’s ruling.
- Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports University of Kentucky alum Joe Blanton officially filed for arbitration Friday in advance of salary figure exchanges with the Phillies.
- Gonzalez also reports Louisville-native Dan Uggla also officially filed for arbitration with the Marlins.