Scott Downs; Photo from Wikimedia Commons
Latest links and highlights from around Kentucky baseball as you wait to see if UK outfielder Brian Adams will make his first big contribution on the football field tonight:
- Jordan Bastian of MLB.com profiles former UK right-handed pitcher Scott Downs‘ career turnaround in Toronto, noting the left-handed reliever will likely move to another team as a free agent this offseason.
- Zack Links of MLBTradeRumors notes the Yankees will look for left-handed relief help this offseason and projects Downs could be a potential acquisition.
- Former Lexington Legends outfielder Brandon Barnes was 3-5 with a home run, triple, two runs scored and six RBI for the Peoria Javelinas of the Arizona Fall League.
- Former Morehead St. right-handed pitcher Henry Mabee pitched a scoreless inning for the Peoria Saguaros of the AFL. Lexington Catholic alum Ben Revere was 1-4 in the game.
- Western Kentucky University‘s media relations department recaps the baseball Hilltoppers’ support of the local Humane Society.
Jacob Goebbert; BluGrass Baseball photo
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- The Houston Astros named Lexington Legends outfielder Jacob Goebbert the team MVP. Former Legends Brandon Barnes and Koby Clemens were named team MVPs at high A Lancaster and AA Corpus Christi respectively.
- Jim Callis of Baseball America ranked Bowling Green Hot Rods right-handed pitcher Alexander Colome No. 16 on his top 20 Midwest League prospects list.
- In the accompanying online chat, Callis touches on a number of Midwest League prospects including former WKU infielder Wade Gaynor.
- Bowling Green native Corey Hart topped 100 RBI on the season with a RBI Thursday.
- Paul Gattis of The Huntsville Times reports on the pink movement in professional sports to raise awareness of breast cancer research including the role Louisville Slugger played in the movement.
- Louisville Bats outfielder Todd Frazier and Team USA will begin pool play at 7:30 tonight in the Pan American/World Cup Qualifying Tournament.