- Madison Central
- St. Xavier
- Central Hardin
- Lexington Catholic
- Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Pleasure Ridge Park
- Covington Catholic
- Tates Creek
- Bryan Station
- Harrison County
- Allen County Scottsville
- Woodford County
- Lawrence County
- Henderson County
- Warren East
Latest links from around Kentucky baseball:
- Lexington native and former UK outfielder Collin Cowgill was named the player of the week in the Pacific Coast League after batting .640 with 2 HR, 7 RBI and 8 runs last week.
- Eastern Kentucky University freshman infielder Bryan Soloman was named the co-Ohio Valley Conference player of the week.
- Madison Central High School dropped its first game of the season last night with a 5-0 loss to Bryan Station High School.
- Aaron Fitt of Baseball America highlights Western Kentucky University senior catcher Matt Rice in his weekly “Golden Spikes Award” spotlight.
- Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun -Times reports Louisville native and former Bellarmine right-handed pitcher Todd Wellemeyer missed an opportunity to start for the Cubs early this season due to a hip injury, but is close to returning to game action with the Iowa Cubs and still may fill an important role for the MLB team.
- Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated ranks University of Kentucky junior right-handed pitcher Alex Meyer the No. 20 prospect in the 2011 draft, noting he could go anywhere from a top five pick to the sandwich round.
- 1. St. Xavier
- 2. Madison Central
- 3. Eastern
- 4. Lexington Catholic
- 5. Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 6. Ballard
- 7. Male
- 8. Pleasure Ridge Park
- 9. Apollo
- 10. Central Hardin
- 11. Lafayette
- 12. Harrison County
- 13. Hopkinsville
- 14. Tates Creek
- 15. West Jessamine
- 16. Woodford County
- 17. Danville
- 18. Covington Catholic
- 18. Daviess County
- 20. Butler
- 21. Pikeville
- 22. Lawrence County
- 23. Clay County
- 24. Trinity
- 25. Allen County Scottsville
- 25. Bryan Station
The Kentucky High School Baseball Coaches Association has released its preseason top 25 rankings. Check out the list below or at the KHSBCA website here. (Note the two-way tie for No. 14 and three-way tie for No. 19)
- 1) Harrison Count High School
- 2) St. Xavier High School
- 3) Lexington Catholic High School
- 4) Apollo High School
- 5) Pleasure Ridge Park High School
- 6) Eastern High School
- 7) Male High School
- 8) Trinity High School
- 9) Central Hardin High School
- 10) Ballard High School
- 11) Lexington Christian Academy
- 12) West Jessamine High School
- 13) Lafayette High School
- 14) Christian County High School
- 14) Henderson County High School
- 16) Henry County High School
- 17) Lawrence County High School
- 18) Lone Oak High School
- 19) Bryan Station High School
- 19) Clay County High School
- 19) Mercer County High School
- 22) Pikeville High School
- 23) Oldham County High School
- 24) Tates Creek High School
- 25) Warren Central High School
- Former Murray State Univeristy pitcher Mark Riggins was named the MLB pitching coach of the Chicago Cubs.
- Matt Eddy of Baseball America reports former EKU infielder Neil Sellers has signed a minor-league contract with the Florida Marlins. Sellers had spent the last three seasons in the Phillies’ organization.
- Mike Fields of the Lexington Herald-Leader reports Bryan Station High School junior first baseman/pitcher Michael Bollmer has committed to play baseball at the University of Louisville.
- Brent Ingram of the University of Kentucky media relations department has published a breakdown of UK’s Southeastern Conference opponents.
The Kentucky High School Baseball Coaches Association has released its latest top 25, and two Lexington teams headline the rankings. No. 1 Lexington Catholic and No. 2 Lexington Christian will face off Tuesday in one of the biggest games of the high school season. For more information about the showdown check out Adam Revelette’s preview for Examiner.com here.
- Lexington Catholic (22) — 786 pts.
- Lexington Christian (3) — 701 pts.
- Eastern (4) — 640 pts.
- Pleasure Ridge Park (1) — 619 pts.
- West Jessamine (7) — 600 pts.
- St. Xavier (4) — 591 pts.
- Tates Creek (1) — 518 pts.
- Apollo (2) — 453 pts.
- Harrison County (1) — 392
- Male — 367
- Trinity — 263
- Henderson County — 252
- Franklin County — 248
- Lafayette — 244
- Elizabethtown (1) — 240
- Ballard — 217
- Glasgow — 197
- Dupont Manual (1) — 190
- Central Hardin — 166
- Bullit East — 134
- Western Hills — 127
- Butler — 114
- Mercer County — 108
- Danville (1) — 99
- Bryan Station (1) — 96
Perfect Game USA has released its preseason high school underclassmen All-American lists, and several Kentucky preps were included in the honorable mention category. I’ve listed those below with graduation year, but you can see the full team here. (Hat tip to Adam Revelette of Examiner.com.)
Mark Biggs — Warren East (2011)
Zach Clooney — St. Xavier (2011)
Chandler Shepherd — Lawrence County (2011)
Matt Spalding — St. Xavier (2011)
Chase Armstrong- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Zach Arnold- Franklin County (2012)
Michael Bollmer- Bryan Station (2012)
Beau Bouthilette- Elizabethtown (2011)
Clay Cinnamon- Mercer County (2011)
Jeremy Cline- Warren Central (2011)
Spencer Drake- Eastern (2012)
Ryan Fucci- Tates Creek (2012)
Kevin Herren- Lafayette (2012)
Matt Honchel- Harrodsburg (2011)
Will Hurt- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Tyler Jackson- Lexington Catholic (2012)
Jackson Laumann- Boone County (2011)
Matt McGowan- University Heights (2011)
Logan McQuerry- George Rogers Clark (2012)
Dalton Mellott- Ohio County (2011)
Cody Moore- Lawrence County (2011)
Logan Shaftner- Lafayette (2011)
Blake Smith- Lafayette (2011)
Andrew Willinger- St. Xavier (2012)